Suggest LGBT changes to characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree with tag being added as it is a spoiler for the latter part of the first series. So with this, I request removal of said tag. Got "spoiler-burned" again after deciding to like and dislike characters after being about 8-9 episodes in.

Yeah, sothis had added it by mistake on the second page but kept it on-

ohh, i misunderstood and thought we were talking about Kei with the women's clothing. well, updating Yuuji to a new image woudl be helpful, i added transgender to kei already, but we can remove if we decide it's a spoiler? unknown

Went ahead and removed the tag though. :drinking:

I feel like there was another thread specifically for requesting new character tags, but I can't seem to find it through the mass amount of similar lgbt suggestion threads.

Anyway, I read IS-Aiesu this past week, and as I suspected, the intersex characters are presently marked as ? . Would adding an intersex tag be beneficial? I can't think of any other intersex characters aside from this manga, but Haru, Hiromi, and Miwako are intersex. It would be possible to mark them as a gender, however at points in the story Haru and Miwako both mention how they identify themselves as intersex over picking a gender.

I just read up on intersex (I've heard of it, but wasn't aware of the term). I think a tag for it would be good to have. As for being able to mark gender, we'll discuss that too. Thanks!

Long time no post, but I've got one to add - Yamagi Gilmerton didn't explicit come out (and speaking as a pansexual I'm iffy on tagging all mlm as gay) but yeah, he likes the hell out of one of his male teammates.

Also, because of the Straight Is Default thing western culture is still working through, I think there's an argument to be had about spoilers vs. useful character information. I'm more likely to watch IBO now I know it's not just baiting, but Yamagi's sexuality was a late-series minor reveal. I'd be in favour of a spoiler toggle for tags before I'd be in the least bit okay with Kei from Moyashimon being untagged as trans. God knows I know more trans people irl than I've ever found in anime, and I watch a LOT of anime.

Long time no post, but I've got one to add - Yamagi Gilmerton didn't explicit come out (and speaking as a pansexual I'm iffy on tagging all mlm as gay) but yeah, he likes the hell out of one of his male teammates.

Also, because of the Straight Is Default thing western culture is still working through, I think there's an argument to be had about spoilers vs. useful character information. I'm more likely to watch IBO now I know it's not just baiting, but Yamagi's sexuality was a late-series minor reveal. I'd be in favour of a spoiler toggle for tags before I'd be in the least bit okay with Kei from Moyashimon being untagged as trans. God knows I know more trans people irl than I've ever found in anime, and I watch a LOT of anime.

Thanks for your suggestion - we really appreciate it. Unfortunately because it's still a spoiler (and not explicit), we won't be able to tag it. But feel free to voice your input on how to address situations such as these in the How to handle gender thread, though, as that is the best place to. :smile:

He never said he was straight though, you know? It's only a reveal because the viewer may have been assuming that he was. Whereas actually he was pretty straightforwardly interested in Shino from his first appearance.

I'm pretty sure basically every character we can say for sure isn't straight had a coming out scene of some kind (and IBO was, if anything, more explicit than it was about heterosexual relationships) which would mean you couldn't have an LGBT tag at all, because of spoilers. What constitutes a spoiler in this case? What makes a mlm gay enough for the tag? He explicitly is in love with another man.

He never said he was straight though, you know? It's only a reveal because the viewer may have been assuming that he was. Whereas actually he was pretty straightforwardly interested in Shino from his first appearance.

I'm pretty sure basically every character we can say for sure isn't straight had a coming out scene of some kind (and IBO was, if anything, more explicit than it was about heterosexual relationships) which would mean you couldn't have an LGBT tag at all, because of spoilers. What constitutes a spoiler in this case? What makes a mlm gay enough for the tag? He explicitly is in love with another man.

You said it was a late reveal, implying it wasn't obvious in the beginning and therefore it could be ambiguous. That is why I rejected the tag. Interested in what way though at first? Admiration? Was it unquestionable romantic feelings? If the latter and you can give short examples, I'll go ahead and add the tag. : )

And back in the first series it wasn't coded as pure admiration: Yamagi took the notion of Shino dying overly seriously, given the context, and outright 'forbade' him to die.

A lot of Japanese stuff isn't super explicit - it's a sight more explicit than everyone's favourite gay skating show...

Can sexuality tags be extended towards some of the characters of Shinsekai Yori ?

It is only hinted at who they are attracted to as kids (the series starts around when they're 12) but later on they get together with each other, though I would understand if that may be a spoiler.

Specifically, Saki Watanabe is bisexual because she is shown to have a relationship with Maria since they were young which was both romantic and platonic, but at the same time Saki also has a thing for Shun. Satoru gets with Shun for a brief spell and they do love each other, but Shun also shows interest in Saki which would make Shun himself also bisexual.

Of course there is that contentious bit people may have of "is it right to label someone's sexuality at such a young age when they're just figuring themselves out?" but at the same time, some people know their sexuality and who they're attracted to from a young age. But this is also a story where the people of this world have a built-in impulse to "love" the people around them, which easily translates to romantic and sexual love under the right circumstances, so in a sense everyone has the capacity to be bisexual.

Sexuality in a post-apocalyptic world is hard to define :@_@:

Can sexuality tags be extended towards some of the characters of Shinsekai Yori ?

It is only hinted at who they are attracted to as kids (the series starts around when they're 12) but later on they get together with each other, though I would understand if that may be a spoiler.

Specifically, Saki Watanabe is bisexual because she is shown to have a relationship with Maria since they were young which was both romantic and platonic, but at the same time Saki also has a thing for Shun. Satoru gets with Shun for a brief spell and they do love each other, but Shun also shows interest in Saki which would make Shun himself also bisexual.

Of course there is that contentious bit people may have of "is it right to label someone's sexuality at such a young age when they're just figuring themselves out?" but at the same time, some people know their sexuality and who they're attracted to from a young age. But this is also a story where the people of this world have a built-in impulse to "love" the people around them, which easily translates to romantic and sexual love under the right circumstances, so in a sense everyone has the capacity to be bisexual.

Sexuality in a post-apocalyptic world is hard to define :@_@:

yeah, this one is a tough one. i'd argue any of those tags are spoiler territory because
of the time skip and all
, also i didn't tag the series itself with 'lgbt themes' because the series makes a 100% non deal out of it (in that society, relationships between genders doesn't seem to matter at all, super commonplace, etc). the relationship aspect is fairly minimal as well, iirc?

yeah, this one is a tough one. i'd argue any of those tags are spoiler territory because
of the time skip and all
, also i didn't tag the series itself with 'lgbt themes' because the series makes a 100% non deal out of it (in that society, relationships between genders doesn't seem to matter at all, super commonplace, etc). the relationship aspect is fairly minimal as well, iirc?

Yeah, there's only one episode that really deals with sexuality in the series. I wouldn't want to tag it as LGBT because in the context of the series society has moved beyond such labels. Casual sex with either gender is just considered something normal. Like it's clear that Saki's relationship with Maria is just a friends with benefits sort of thing it's not an actual relationship. Sex is seen more of a stress relief, which is important when living in a society where the average person can level a city if they lose control.

The sexuality of the society is patterned after bonobo monkeys.

WARNING characters himself is a spoiler-kun.

Kaworu Nagisa from Neon Genesis Evangelion. Gay.
Original anime people fought but it was clear. Word of god Anno said in a June manga interview that it was intentionally homoerotic, that Kaworu is a reflection of Shinji’s ideal self. All original anime parts are in episode 24. But manga? Yes. Evangelion 3.0? YES. Kaworu in all series uses intentionally confusing but also romantic language. Kaworu says he loves Shinji.
Shinji: “I have to go to bed”
Kaworu: “with me?”
Shinji: !!!???!!?

And then Kaworu spends the night and Shinji shares intimate things

Shinji is... to the point it would be a spoiler to tag him. And people have had a 20+ year long debate about it. But he is certainly more comfortable with Kaworu and fast. Things are less romantic in the manga. But Shinji still says he loves Kaworu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back