Best Male Villain nominations now open!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna leave Sanetoshi for @Taekwondoin to nominate.

Nomination #2

Username: Zetsuboukaiji
Character: Squealer
Anime: From the New World
Picture:
75KUcDJ.jpg

Reason: Squealer is the complete opposite of my first nomination. He's cowardly, obsequious and no one trusts him because he always seems to be working an angle. The only reason he's allowed to roam around free is because people think he's too pathetic to do any damage. Boy were they wrong.

Squealer is impressive because he's able to effectively fight a society where everyone has super psychic powers that can easily decimate a city by using his own wits and cunning. He takes his reputation for being a coward that no one respects and uses it to his full advantage because no one suspects him until it is too late and the shit has hit the fan.

================================

PS We're already at 16 nominations so please get your nominations in sooner rather than later. We'll be accepting 16 more characters and its first come first serve.

Last edited:
I'm gonna leave Sanetoshi for @Taekwondoin to nominate.

Nomination #2

Username: Zetsuboukaiji
Character: Squealer
Anime: From the New World
Picture:
75KUcDJ.jpg

Reason: Squealer is the complete opposite of my first nomination. He's cowardly, obsequious and no one trusts him because he always seems to be working an angle. The only reason he's allowed to roam around free is because people think he's too pathetic to do any damage, boy were they wrong.

Squealer is impressive because he's able to effectively fight a society where everyone has super psychic powers that can easily decimate a city by using his own wits and cunning. He takes his reputation for being a coward that no one respects and uses it to his full advantage because noconstructive him until it is too late and the shit has hit the fan.
Just going to treat this as my third nomination as I was pretty damn close to putting him here instead. You also forgot the most important part: how he did nothing wrong.
OK, maybe he could've gone about his way with a less violent method, but a simple perspective shift is all that would be needed to paint him as a tragic hero. The world he wanted wasn't a bad one, but like his enemies, he had no idea how to create it in a more constructive way.

Last edited:
Nomination #2:

Username: Gummo
Character Name: Kyubey
Anime: Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Picture:
tumblr_inline_nkkfjt76a31qg2ra8.gif

Reason: This one is quite a spoiler, so sorry if you haven't seen the series, but Kyubey is revealed to be a dangerous character. He's an emotionless, calculating manipulator - essentially tricking young girls into making contracts that will lead them into a doomed life. He paints the life of a magical girl as something exciting and enjoyable, but as we know from the direction of the series, it's much darker than that. No matter what your opinion is on Kyubey's true goal, his tactics and prowling are truly villainous.

If close enough worked, I'd have been able to nominate Kamina for Best Male Lead. Hell, some people claim Homura is a villain. This show is all sorts of gray.

If close enough worked, I'd have been able to nominate Kamina for Best Male Lead. Hell, some people claim Homura is a villain. This show is all sorts of gray.
Kamina was only around for a third of the series. It's pretty clear that his role in the story was to be supplementary to the true main character's. He was the mentor, and mentors always die for the sake of having their protege come into their own as a person. I thought he was the main character too once. All an intentional ruse.

You could certainly make a case for why Homura is the true villain, but that would be way to spoilery, since no one even of that side of hers until the 3rd movie. For the TV series though, it's pretty clear that Kyubey's ideals stand in stark contrast with and come at the cost of all of the magical girls'.

Last edited:
Kamina was only around for a third of the series. It's pretty clear that his role in the story was to be supplementary to the true main character's. He was the mentor, and mentors always die for the sake of having their protege come into their own as a person. I thought he was the main character too once. All an intentional ruse.

You could certainly make a case for why Homura is the true villain, but that would be way to spoilery, since no one even of that side of hers until the 3rd movie. For the TV series though, it's pretty clear that Kyubey's ideals stand in stark contrast with and come at the cost of all of the magical girls'.
But that's just it.
By the logic of his species, he's doing the right thing. It's not like he's running around killing girls for shits and giggles. He's not evil. He's just alien.
I don't think he should be allowed. But I'm not in charge, so I'll throw it to Zetsu.

User: Taekwondoin
Character: Sanetoshi Watase
Anime: Mawaru Penguindrum

Reason: I guess I quite like hating on manipulative assdicks like this. However, he takes fabulous to a whole new level, and his thirst for destruction and revenge is electrifyingly fresh, especially as he doesn't fall into any real villain clichés. At some points of the story he does genuinely good things for the main cast, but nothing from him is truly altruistic, there will be something for him to gain...

Pic to follow tomorrow, on mobile right now.

Kyubey's designation as antagonist has less to do with his goals (there are lots of villains with reasonable goals, yet fucked up methods) and more to do with the perspective from which the story is told and who the audience sympathizes most with. With your reasoning red, you could argue the Anti-Spiral wasn't a villain either since it just wanted to protect the universe from the possibilty of being annihilated by spiral energy.
Also, are we even sure Kyubey counts as male? He's voiced by a woman, and even his gender here is listed as '?'.
Alright, that I can agree with at least now that you mention it.

Last edited:
I asked before posting Kyubey if he could be considered a villain and I got the okay. No way is Homura even remotely a villain in the series. And Kyubey is generally considered a male. If there's conflict with accepting the nomination, I'll do another to replace it.

Kuybey is without a doubt the main villain for Madoka. Gedata explains why pretty well so I'll refer you back to that post. The gender thing is a bit ambiguous, but I'm allowing it because most people still refer to Kuybey using male pronouns and also because we're not going to have a gender ambiguous category. I think the little shit deserves a shot.

Going to go for a crapshoot pick, because eh why not? And he's a massively underrated antagonist to me.

User: GenericUser
Character: Tonegawa
Anime: Kaiji
Picture:
178515.jpg

Reason: An intelligent and scary bastard, with his dark brutal speeches alone, he knows how to strike people where it hurts the most psychologically and just completely crushes you with his words that you just feel like a complete and total worthless piece of crap afterwards. Very smug but he also does have a legitimate point in what he says about the nature of people that it's actually pretty disturbing and intimidating.

Since we're in the business of nominating aliens...

Nomination #1
Username:
CaptainSlow
Character: Frieza
Anime: Dragon Ball Z
Picture:
330sl1i.png
Reason:
A megalomaniacal and ruthless alien overlord who relishes in death and destruction, Frieza essentially rules the universe with an iron fist and is responsible for a number of tragedies that befall Goku and his friends. Genocide, entire planet annihilation, jaywalking... name a crime, and Frieza's probably committed it with a smile on his face and a grand speech on his lips.

Nomination #2
Username:
CaptainSlow
Character: Shounen Bat
Anime: Paranoia Agent
Picture:
14azv2t.jpg
Reason:
Less a traditional villain and more a boy-shaped hurricane that brings dread and fear to the streets of Tokyo, Shounen Bat is the perpetrator behind a serial assault case that threatens to consume all those involved.

Last edited:
Well since nominations have stalled out a bit you guys can nominate a third character. We're at 21 noms and we need 11 more.

Nomination 2
Username: Thrawn
Character: Momonga (Ainz Ooal Gown)
Anime: Overlord

Picture:
66zxn9.jpg

i19wfk.jpg

17sqs9.jpg

2e3worm.jpg

Reason: Ainz Ooal Gown, once a top member of a top-tier guild of non-human badasses in an online game, gets trapped in the game as a top-tier badass of lichdom, with all the cool shit that a lich can do. Unlike other dudes trapped in games in the "Dude is trapped in a game" genre, Ainz has the pimp baller skills to deal with this shit. He ain't no wet behind the ears pussy, he knows his shit and still has his power to proverbially shove his fist up a guy's ass so hard that he can crush his heart. But he is a tragic character, as his lichdom prevents him from totally boning his hot succubus demon overseer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back