504 Gateway Time-out

504 Gateway Time-out

nginx/1.24.0

Sweetness and Lightning

Episode 7
It's super adorable that the Magical Girl episode inspired Tsumugi to go and find a way to save a sick daddy. Also, I am curious as to the relationship that seems to be building between student and teacher, although I dont really want to know or cause issues by reading the manga of this I guess.

08:

Maaaaaaaaan, this really knows how to punch me in the fucking gut sometimes. The thing with the handbag her mother gave her and Tsumugi still clinging onto it this whole time genuinely made me tear up a bit. This show is good at getting to me in such a way that it never feels forced.

Also, I burst out laughing with the touching of the squid. I mean, they are really kind of slimy and gross with the texture I know, like touching bugs, yuck. Seafood is still best food in the universe though guys. Fite me. But, I wonder what Tsumugi's great epiphany was, I would have loved to know personally. I'm sure it would have been something very poignant.

The school stuff was pretty fun too:
Zss3csZ.gif

Btw, this is how I'm going to reject people from now on:
3c3e1fca9337d665542495f15ccf9a101471889446_full.png
I got a bit of schadenfreude at this moment. Take that bratty kid, she's too good for you.

Anyway, I still think the characterization is being done so well and it was a good episode.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who noticed they seem to cook around 18:00 ?

That ain't that strange, though it's around northen european eating time and since he's a highschool teacher he should finish work at school around or well before 17:30 most of the time or so especially since tests in Japan seem to be mostly standardized.

Last edited:
Episode 8:

Well why don't we all reflect on this episode while having that anime classic snack Picky.
MMC0zkU.jpg

That face when you realize poopies kid is creeping on your daughter:
3Z0vPtr.jpg

Loved the classroom stuff because you could see how proud he is of Tsmugi. If I had a kid that cute I'd take pride as well. He's always worried he's not a good enough father and that's what makes him such a great father because he's always striving to do the most he can for her.

It's amazing the way a simple flavor can bring about such strong associations. It's the most plain and basic form of the stew, but it brings such comfort in reminding them of the woman that used to make it for them. I found it moving that after the stew he decided he wanted to make his own addition to the bag as a way to let Tsumugi have something that was made with both her parents hands. Despite being gone they're still able to connect with her in these small ways.

Such a sweet episode.

8:

I feel bad for poopie boy. He stuck his neck out there and gave the class his best material only to get heckled and later have his love spurned by the girl of his dreams. Too bad, I mean, who coulda expected kids that young to have any kind of standards for humor?

Yeah, I second the hopeful absence of romance.

Episode 8.
Bullshit them kids would wait. Maybe it's a Japanese thing or something, I don't know. But down here, we didn't wait. You either got there on time, or you was out for the fun.

Bag thing was cute.

And rejecting that little brat was awesome.

Also, that one face he made reminded me of someone...
tumblr_ocbzhc4RvT1vsw532o2_250.png

Last edited:
Episode 8

it hit me I'm the feels ;-;... Especially the whole bag thing. I feel like tsumugi is taking the whole mother being dead thing very well . She can mention her without crying which is a good thing IMO

Episode 8

it hit me I'm the feels ;-;... Especially the whole bag thing. I feel like tsumugi is taking the whole mother being dead thing very well . She can mention her without crying which is a good thing IMO

I don't think that's entirely the case. In the first episode Tsumugi mentions something about her mother coming home so I don't think she fully understands the situation. I think at some point her father is going to have to explain death to her.

Episodes 7 and 8:
Ugh. Late again.

Anyway...

Episode 7 is pretty much an odd amalgamation of chapter 10 and 14. Basically the first half of chapter 14 and the second half of chapter 10 put together with a few tweaks. Still, it managed to be a solid episode. Tsumugi's "adventure" was tons better in the anime. The inclusion of the shark song was really cute and it was a nice way to show Tsumugi's imaginative mind.

As for Episode 8, it's a great adaptation of one of my favorite earlier chapters. No complaints here well except for the lack of Yagi near the end but that's just me being nitpicky. Also, taro is fucking fantastic. Stewed taro is great and all but nothing beats deep-fried Chinese taro puffs. It just melts in your mouth.

09:

That was pretty cute with Tsumugi helping out more actively in the cooking this time. But I think it was the flashback and the end of the episode that really made it for me and was the best bit. Jeez, this is probably the first time we've seen her cry about her mother's absence, and it was pretty soul crushing to watch exactly how much she misses her and that sort of realization coming to her just hits like a sack of bricks to me.

It was also pretty heartwarming as they were bonding and reminiscing about her through the curry. She was kind of a really adorable airheaded sort of person and I can sort of see ad pick up where Tsumugi gets the overt cheery bubbly attitude from.

Anyway, it was a good episode again. Striking a bit of bittersweet note.

Episode 9:

I laughed and d'aww'ed when Tsumugi greeted the table when she got home from the sleepover.
3en2U1o.jpg

This is exactly how I am after completing a minor task in the kitchen.

bYzDkNR.jpg

Tsumugi is like my cooking spirit animal.

The bubbles dance is a new Tsumugi classic. Kinda wish she danced every episode.

The end of the episode both broke and melted my heart. Such a bittersweet scene to watch Tsumugi grieve for her mother after the curry brings memories flooding back. Even as it was sad to watch Tsumugi realize she'll never see her mother again, I couldn't help smiling when she started headbutting her father, because no matter how sad she is she still wants to eat daddy's curry.

Fantastic episode.

Episode 9

dammit I take back what I said about Tsumugi taking her mothers death pretty well. She cried at the end...; -; this anime makes me want to make all the recipes! I might be making dry curry tomorrow (: , This episode was okay it got in touch more with the mother and that was good. >_> I hate whoever does the voice of the cryer.... My ears bled a little

Episode 9:

I laughed and d'aww'ed when Tsumugi greeted the table when she got home from the sleepover.
3en2U1o.jpg

This is exactly how I am after completing a minor task in the kitchen.

bYzDkNR.jpg

Tsumugi is like my cooking spirit animal.

The bubbles dance is a new Tsumugi classic. Kinda wish she danced every episode.

The end of the episode both broke and melted my heart. Such a bittersweet scene to watch Tsumugi grieve for her mother after the curry brings memories flooding back. Even as it was sad to watch Tsumugi realize she'll never see her mother again, I couldn't help smiling when she started headbutting her father, because no matter how sad she is she still wants to eat daddy's curry.

Fantastic episode.

Remember when I said she was handling it very well.... XD I think I predicted the next episode or better yet the anime producers read what I put and threw a jab at me !

sweetness%2Band%2Blightning.gif

Tsumugi Is so adorable I die a little inside

9:

vvU3QLL.png

No...

kBR2rpk.png

STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP

NC8C64J.jpg

And then she starts headbutting Daddy like the impetuous little beast she is and I'm all smiles again. What the fuck. I guess this show really delivered both the sweetness and the lightning in that one scene.

Episode 9:
One of my favorite chapters in the manga because I fucking love Japanese curry (both dry and regular) and because of that heart-wrenching scene near the end. Anime really nailed that one. Oh and that bit about raisins in curry is true. I like raisins as a stand-alone snack but I'm not a fan of using it as an ingredient. It's different for Japanese curry though. Really enhances the flavor.

Back