Giant Robo: Ginrei Special

I might start watching these Wednesday. I finished Robo today, but I think I need a day to digest it before moving on.

1:

I would certainly watch an entire series of Ginrei and the rest of the Experts thwarting the BF Group in their petty exploits. Why is that not a thing?

Episode 1:

This was made on a shoestring budget so there's very little animation, it's a good deal goofier than I imagined it was going to be and there's lots of fan service, but the first episode was hilarious.

My favorite parts were the cut to Alberto in the shower and Alberto being a sassy bitch the entire episode. No world dominating plans this episode; just Alberto trying to get revenge on Ginrei for making his organization look stupid. A lot of the things Alberto was accusing Ginrei of would have fit right into a few of the sillier James Bond movies.

Oh and there were some neat little background jokes as well. Like when Alberto accused Ginrei and Taisou of opening fire on a crowd of Big Fire thugs and then the slide shows Taisou literally spitting fire. Even with the limited budget there's still some nice visuals.

Another nice visual was everyone getting a nosebleed when they saw Ginrei after her panties melted. Daisaku and Robo's nosebleeds were obvious, but even funnier were Enshaku and Alberto also getting nosebleeds.

However, what the fuck is going on with this foot?

jSMfiaQ.png

Daisaku is a smooth little fuck when he's trying to see Ginrei naked. "Why not? I haven't been through puberty yet," nice try kid.

The dialogue for the episode was pretty funny and I enjoyed the Saturday morning cartoon vibe of the whole thing. Even if it wasn't quite what I was expecting I was still pretty entertained.

Episode 2:

Holy shit this was hysterical. One of the best self parodies I've ever seen. That the score for these specials is so low just makes me sad. I'm watching the dub for these specials and it's exactly like watching a perfect abridged series. Bravo to everyone involved with making this because these throw away comedy specials for serious shows are usually low effort suckfests, but these Ginrei specials are so funny I had to move to another room to stop from waking my wife up.

The first episode played out like a Saturday morning cartoon with some extra butt slipping past the censors, but the second episode completely goes nuts. I could go on and on listing my favorite jokes, but people should just watch for themselves.

Daisaku is such a little asshole in this episode. I kinda love it. He's a complete 180 from the way he's characterized in the OVAs and the juxtaposition between the two makes for some great comedy.

These specials are turning out to be an unexpected treat.

I'll start this today too. I just need more of these characters in my life, whether it's a comedy or whatever.

The specials are turning out to be a perfect parody of the genre and it's been a blast to see the characters goofing off in less serious scenarios. Since you love the cast I think you'll enjoy the humor here.

Episode 3:

After the madcap parody humor of the first two episodes I wasn't expecting this third episode to be more serious. I thought this episode was great because it transplanted the action to fresh western setting and reinforced some of the key themes of the OVAs.

In addition the OST for this episode was fucking fantastic. I'm a big fan of Ennio Morricone; especially his work on westerns and the OST for this episode really captured his style.

There's still plenty of humor in the episode and Tetsugyu's interactions with Rude were pretty entertaining. The banter between Tetsugyu and Ginrei was pretty entertaining as well.

However, The heart of the episode is the relationship between the Big Fire member and the son he ended up adopting after killing his parents. This part of the episodes reinforces the complicated theme of parents and children that was in the OVA, and I love that Rude recognized the man that raised him as meaning more to him than parents he never got to meet.

This was a great way to end the specials.

Overall I had a blast watching these episodes. They offer something different from the main series and the first two episodes are just plain hilarious parody. The third episode is something yet again different, but it's still more lighthearted than the OVAs and yet it has a nice lesson at its heart that compliments what happened in the series. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone that just wants to spend more time with these characters in a less serious setting. 8 out of 10

3:

I think the unsung lesson here is to think twice before trusting a dude with a pubestache with anything. Kind of weird to have this kind of episode as a follow up to one with the BF Group holding a concert and Ginrei launching boob missiles. That said, it was still pretty good and that's all that matters.

3:

I think the unsung lesson here is to think twice before trusting a dude with a pubestache with anything. Kind of weird to have this kind of episode as a follow up to one with the BF Group holding a concert and Ginrei launching boob missiles. That said, it was still pretty good and that's all that matters.

It's like the staff got really high before making the second episode, then came to their senses to make the third. I don't mean that in an insulting way though because the second episode was funny as fuck.

Episode 1

Great stuff
Some great parody here. And it's true parody too, the jokes aren't obvious punchlines, but the situations and visuals are just great plays on the serious main OVA. Alberto had the best ass this episode.

Murasame as Ginrei was pretty damn hilarious too, obviously he doesn't care about exposing Ginrei's more intimate parts, so the confidence he stands there with after her outfit pretty much melts is hilarious to me. As were the nosebleeds from everyone.

Just a ton of fun here, this is how a comedy OVA should be.

Back