What I just finished reading and what I thought of it [NO SPOILERS]

Narutaru -- 4/5

Pretty good. Although I think it started out more grounded and then gets a lot more wonky. The worst things that happen aren't as bad as I was expecting based on it's reputation. In fact, the main thing that threw me off was the sudden ending.

But, as I said, overall pretty good.

Zannen nagara Chigaimasu (one shot)
This was essentially a speedrun of shoujo tropes in one awful 20 page package

Sundome

A great drama covered in gross stuff. The ending felt a little anticlimactic (pun not intended) though

I'll have to think a little about the score but for now it gets a 4/5

Spell of Desire (Majo no Biyaku) - I loved it.

To be honest, I knew I would like this one. I like most of this mangaka's romances. Midnight Secretary used to be my favorite of hers. However, I ended up liking this one even more. It was shorter but more plot heavy. The drama that happened made sense and I did not have any major complaints about the characters which is a surprise cause I usually have something to complain about in that department.
:smile:

Shuumatsu No Tenki
Well...interesting ride, love the main char because he is a douche, I kept being amazed what he would do next. Very funny to read his actions. Story wasnt very interesting and filled with plottwists and since the manga got cut off we get a sudden ending. Which was weird, they should of kept him doing more douche stuff instead of this lousy ending.
Would be much more interesting if he raped her, God raped him or he shat on everybody while flying off by going on a huge rant or something like that...or take an actuall shit, which would also fit in his character trait.

Teppu. It's the first manga I've completed from start to finish in a while. I liked it. I hope to see it adapted to the anime medium in the future.

I just finished reading Regatta. It's a pretty good sports manga (about rowing). The characters are good and the races are intense. My only gripe is that the ending feels a little rushed, but other than that, it definitely worth reading.

Teppu. It's the first manga I've completed from start to finish in a while. I liked it. I hope to see it adapted to the anime medium in the future.

If only. A tragedy the mangaka is terminally ill because as much as I loved the whole thing, it feels woefully incomplete.

just finished reading rosario vampire season 1

brilliant read , Way better than the anime
the anime is fun and all but the back story to the comic is so much better and there isnt asmuch ecchi in the manga either

So I just got through with Hibi Chouchou, a shojo romance manga. Suuuuuuuuuper cute, as expected. BUT! There was one specific thing that is bothering me to no end! Not really a spoiler, but just in case in put it in a spoiler box

So it ends up being that the male MC's childhood friend develops a crush on the female lead, and gets jealous of him.

Now granted, it may just be some wishful thinking on my part, but as soon as this plot point came up, I REALLY THOUGHT he was gonna try to get gay with the male MC! Seriously! the way he gazed at him, the way he remembered things from when they were little, the fact that two main character traits of this guy were "had no interest in girls whatsoever" and "im a childhood friend." I don't think im reaching too far on this.

The manga explains all this later as "looks of jealousy" But that's so lame. My little conspiracy theory is; he was totally supposed to go in that direction, but the editor said no, because the manga was aimed at a younger audience than the women who are into BL stories, even unrequited ones.

If ANYONE on these forums has read this manga and got the same feeling,TELL ME I'M NOT CRAZY!.......please........

Narutaru -- 4/5

Pretty good. Although I think it started out more grounded and then gets a lot more wonky. The worst things that happen aren't as bad as I was expecting based on it's reputation. In fact, the main thing that threw me off was the sudden ending.

But, as I said, overall pretty good.

finished this too, and I have to agree that it wasn't as bad as expected and that the ending is a bit odd. Still a good ride though

Finished A Silent Voice. Naoko Yamada better not fuck this up.

finished this too, and I have to agree that it wasn't as bad as expected and that the ending is a bit odd. Still a good ride though

Reread it like a week ago after rewatching the anime. Neither held up as well a 2nd time through (especially the anime, which is honestly just bad). The manga though, I dug despite the antagonist's actions being driven by some poorly defined philosophy. Shiina and her parents were cool. Still, y'all ought to check out Bokurano if you haven't. It's by the same author and whilst I haven't finished it, I think it's got a leg up on this series.

Last edited:
Finished A Silent Voice. Naoko Yamada better not fuck this up.

I concur.
I really hope they don't mess up A Silent Voice. I'm already a little disappointed that it's just a movie and not a 12 episode series.

Reread it like a week ago after rewatching the anime. Neither held up as well a 2nd time through (especially the anime, which is honestly just bad). The manga though, I dug despite the antagonist's actions being driven by some poorly defined philosophy. Shiina and her parents were cool. Still, y'all ought to check out Bokurano if you haven't. It's by the same author and whilst I haven't finished it, I think it's got a leg up on this series.

yeah, I've seen other people who think of Bokurano as an improved Narutaru, so i'll definitely check that one out too

Bokura no Fushidara
I laughed at that ending. Do I feel ashamed for that? No, Im just a twisted person.
I love these kind of endings.

Last edited:
just finished
UN-GO
11 eps , short n sweet
was abit hard to follow in places , i wouldnt even attempt to watch in japanese , tho i get the feeling if it was in offical subs it would add even more to the show

Just saying this is the manga thread not anime, you are probably looking for the anime version of this thread.

Just saying this is the manga thread not anime, you are probably looking for the anime version of this thread.

The anime version of this thread no longer exists because anything you'd post in that thread could easily just be posted in the specific anime discussion thread for that one. The reason this manga one has been left open is because there are approximately a bajillion manga out there and I don't expect people to make a new thread to talk about each of them they finish.

I've moved Gren's post to the Un-Go anime thread in Specific Anime Discussion.

The anime version of this thread no longer exists because anything you'd post in that thread could easily just be posted in the specific anime discussion thread for that one. The reason this manga one has been left open is because there are approximately a bajillion manga out there and I don't expect people to make a new thread to talk about each of them they finish.

I've moved Gren's post to the Un-Go anime thread in Specific Anime Discussion.

Okay I'll remember that in future xx

Ana Satsuijn aka Peephole
The last 30-40 chaps were rather boring, the chars werent interesting anymore. I got the ending I wanted. But with a bad after taste.
The happy end where they kill each other but the kid stuff was unnesecary

So a meh from me because of the second half, before that I had given it 4 stars, lowered it to 3,5 stars.

Ana Satsuijn aka Peephole
The last 30-40 chaps were rather boring, the chars werent interesting anymore. I got the ending I wanted. But with a bad after taste.
The happy end where they kill each other but the kid stuff was unnesecary

So a meh from me because of the second half, before that I had given it 4 stars, lowered it to 3,5 stars.

Agree, it would have been perfect without that bit at the ending.

Panorama Toukitan, and adaptation by Suehiro Maruo from the famous Edogawa Ranpo's novel The Strange Tale of Panorama Island [5/5 stars]
A single volume, I wonder why this isn't more popular. The mangaka was able to tell the story mainly with images, there's very little narrative and dialogues and the scenarios are just superb. I highly recommend it if you liked others like Bradherley no Basha (Hiroaki Samura), Nijigahara Holograph (Inio Asano), or Goth (Otsuichi, Kendi Oiwa).

Back