Pokemon Sun & Moon

After watching the awesomeness that was XY, I was super hyped for S&M. But upon seeing the new animation for this, the hype flew away and I don't think it will come back... Even if the writing in this is half as good as XY, the animation is just too different.

I'm going to watch this and probably end up regretting it. I mainly just want to see Gladion.

If you're in a Pokemon watching mood- pick back up XY too. I honestly don't know if I prefer that over the original Pokemon anime that has nostalgia going for it. XY is just that good.

If you're in a Pokemon watching mood- pick back up XY too. I honestly don't know if I prefer that over the original Pokemon anime that has nostalgia going for it. XY is just that good.
I've been watching X&Y on and off. I may commit to it, since I've been having trouble starting anything new and it keeps drawing me back.

@chii This can be moved to the currently airing subforum. :)

Episode 1
This was a lot better than I expected. It's undeniably silly, but it matches the games. I'm hopefully going to catch up on all the episodes today. I'm looking forward to seeing where it's going to go.

@Zaig Watch this with me.

Episode 2
I can't believe they brought that poor Alolan Exeggutor into a building. That should be considered abuse.

Annd it looks like that's it for the dubbed episodes. I'm fine with waiting, watching it in Japanese would be too different.

Last edited:
I've seen the 1st 4 episodes of this and whilst its perfectly fine and fun to watch, there's one thing I'm not so sure about.
That being the idea to age down some of the trial captains and have them just be students at pokemon school. I don't recall ever seeing role shifts between the anime and games this big. Even Lillie, who was essentially the protagonist of Moon after you and your permanent, brain-dead smile, was essentially turned into a flanderized joke. No Nebby either. They're probably saving all of her backstory and history with the Aether foundation for the last season.

Hope they don't make us wait too long to see ya boi Guzma though.

6:

> Togedemaru is a girl

All that nuzzling she's been doing on Pikachu has taken a new meaning. Sadly, being just a slightly more cuddly Ferroseed ain't gonna help that ship none.

12:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT. THIS IS NOT A DRILL, RELEASE THE FLYING PIGS, TURN UP THE AC IN HELL, TEAM ROCKET BEAT ASH FAIR AND SQUARE AFTER 20 YEARS.

Honestly, Team Rocket has always been the best part of the series for me, so it makes me happy to see that they actually resemble something of a threat since they don't have jobber pokemon anymore. I don't really see why they can't take on Bewear though. Mimikyu doesn't have to worry about Normal or Fighting attacks and Mareanie resists the latter of the two types. Maybe they're stuck between accomplishing their vague mission and vegging out with its berry supply. I do wonder, is that fucking bear gonna always cockblock the action like this? I hope not.

Also, Mareanie's voice excites me sexually.

Last edited:
Kind of glad the animation, voice actors are different and a new direction has been introduced in this show. After a decade I can finally escape and not look back.

Now that a buttload of English dub episodes are available, it's time for me to catch up to this.

Pinging @Zaig as he said he'd watch S&M with me. I'm sure he lied and will decline. Also pinging @commonxreaction just to annoy him.

This has been surprisingly enjoyable so far. Could do without the Oak replacement and Rotom Dex, but it's not that much of a bother.

Episode 8
Interesting how they changed Lillie's story. It's pretty heavy stuff in the game, so I can understand them wanting something more kid friendly for the show, but I'm not sure what that's going to do for the plot. Everything they changed was important and necessary. I wonder if the show is going to get suddenly dark at one point. The games had a lot of jokes and silly moments, which is what the show is riding on now, but I'm curious as to how things are going to go once other characters are introduced and we get into the meat of the story.

First glance at Gladion! I know he's already been introduced in later episodes, but I'm trying not to spoil myself too much. Already know what's inside the two eggs, although it wasn't too hard to figure out going by the coloring.

42:

You know an occassional nostalgiawank is perfectly healthy once in a while, and this was still fun but I can't help but feel the appeal of all this gen 1 pandering has been undercut by the fact that Gamefreak's been doing it pretty excessively ever since Black and White.

It was still nice for what it was, seeing these new kids react to the pokemon we all knew and loved back then the same way we did for their freshly introduced native species. Also, Kitegeruma/Bewear is going to have a hard time topping this retrieval.

Last edited:
Does Ash go to school in this one? Or does he carry on trying to win leagues?
Right now we're currently headed towards the tail end of the Alola league. Most of the series is episodic adventures that mostly don't take place in the school itself. The school generally serves as a starting point for episodic plots and is almost never the main setting for an episode. Some arcs have Ash travelling to different Islands for to undergo the Island Trials too, but this isn't some A-to-B journey across the region like the other seasons since most of the time is spent in Melemele Island since Ash crashes at Kukui's place and isn't some nomad like he is, in again, all the other seasons.

Last edited:
Right now we're currently headed towards the tail end of the Alola league. Most of the series is episodic adventures that mostly don't take place in the school itself. The school generally serves as a starting point for episodic plots and is never the main setting for an episode. Some arcs have Ash travelling to different Islands for to undergo the Island Trials too, but this isn't some A-to-B journey across the region like the other seasons since most of the time is spent in Melemele Island since Ash crashes at Kukui's place and isn't some nomad like he is, in again, all the other seasons.
Thanks for clarifying xx

Back