The feed is coming back soon - more info, including upcoming downtime

^this was indeed the very old reason, but we've had 1,000 wide content for awhile for the ad reason :) (on the order of years, probably at least 5)

anyways, the site is back up! feed coming soon

I'm happy to hear the feed is coming back soon. Its precise dating helps with the dating of anime and manga that I have read/watched on other list sites.

However, I'm not too thrilled about people being able to comment or "love" on my feed. To me it's just a thing keeping track of what you do, there really isn't a need to comment on it or love it. But I know some people might have a thing for doing so, and that's fine but not really for me. Will there be a way to disable commenting and "loving" for the feed in the future? I'd like to have it, at least for the comments anyway.

I also don't care much for the profile posts. I never had the desire to use it here (or the old Pottermore come to think of it). I'd be happy if they were left off my main site account when the forum is fused with it (too much like Facebook or Twitter.). Or, at least, have the ability to disable it if the thing is put there.

Apart from that, I'm okay with the rest of the announcement. Very happy to hear my old data will be making a return, though I am a little sad that I won't have any of the activity dates for stuff I did after the feed went down. Oh well. A little curious/worried about how it will look on site profiles once it returns. But I'll wait until then to make a comment on that.

That kind of brings up a point of concern for some people, privacy. Will the new feed system have privacy settings of some kind?

no, but it didn't in the past either (and technically all of the info is visible through other means, like sorting your reviews by date)

however, it's something we've thought about.

one thing that IS missing from the new feed is reviews and custom lists that have privacy set to "no one". that's temporary - what we're working on is a way for only you to be able to see that data in the feed (as opposed to, right now, it just doesnt get added at all). as i, for example, would be interested in seeing when i added private custom lists too, not just the friend/public ones.

there's a wider question about privacy for things like "i want to hide my entire anime list" or "i dont want to allow comments on my profile" etc. all of this will probably be added eventually, but very, very, very low on the priority list given our small team and many planned features.

Because I still keep getting questions, we're still working on this, and as always I don't have an ETA to give you. We're making progress, please continue to be patient

A question that I always wanted to make:
Isn't the feed occupying a massive amount of space in the servers? I mean all the actions from all the users, must be a lot of data.
I wouldn't mind, if it helped with the servers costs to have the feed have 1 year limit, meaning it would delete the date from 1 year ago. I mean it's not like I'm going to press the Next button that many times to see what I did more than one year ago. I probably wouldn't find what I really wanted anyway.
But you know this is just me worrying and stuff. xD

Back