Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

G

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Synopsis, Screenshots, Reviews, Recommendations ~ Add Your Own Recommendations

Discuss individual chapters and first impressions of this manga here. Full reviews should be posted here.

Just discovered this; I guess it's been out for a little while now but I wasn't really aware. Of course, with all the shame of Shippuden, I was a little excited to read this, especially since there were 5 chapters. Unfortunately, it looks like the manga is adapting the Boruto Movie first, and then new content afterwards. The good news is that in a couple more chapters it should be fully past the movie, especially since each chapter is essentially a double chapter. The other bad news though is that this is monthly, and it's not drawn by Kishimoto, although he does "oversee" it, and so it's recognized as an official sequel. So, once we get into original content, I will definitely be keeping up with this. For the most part though, I just plan to let a few more chapters to come out before I start following it, especially since I already watched the Boruto Movie.

I did read the 1st Chapter and the main thing that concerns me is that (plot spoilers)
it seems like there was an implication that Naruto was killed? What kind of? No, bad sequel! Also, how the hell? Whatever... I expected Naruto to die of old age, so I'm mostly hoping that was just a bullshit foreshadowing for the sake of pulling in readers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chapter 43, and some thoughts on why Boruto isn't really doing anything original:
I really tried to give the manga a chance, but I'm clearly not happy about it. Besides the villains being very shallow and lacking depth, I don't think I feel anything with the three protagonists. I felt way more emotions with the characters in part one, and the Boruto manga just pales in comparison. So I don't know if it has to do with the pacing, but when you try to draw readers to a series, you've got to make them feel invested.

And what exactly did chapter one accomplish with that? That Kishimoto is finally going to kill off the original main protagonists when he didn't in part two. He should have done that to begin with instead of going with what the editors and the fans wanted. Now the Boruto manga comes off as something to fulfill a regret of the author, who by the way isn't directly writing the manga. Cause he's too busy working on Samurai 8, which clearly has its own share of problems.

And another thing, Boruto being possessed by Momoshiki does not make a chapter instantly great. Its just recycling the same idea during part two when Naruto became possessed by the nine tailed foxed. Boruto is nothing more than a cash grab of a series, something the manga and the anime have in common. Its tiresome and I'm glad to be dropping the manga as well. There are plenty of newer better shonen in Weekly Shonen Jump that fans are better off investing in, cause quite clearly Boruto isn't one of them. 1/5.

Back