Has the fandom ever ruined an anime for you?

ImmaToaster

i'll admit i have a few popular favorite anime's, and i found the fandom's can almost ruin the anime for me. has this ever happened to you? is it happening right now? if so, tell all about it!

The fandom is the entire reason I have avoided Naruto and One Piece. Every person I talked to that have minimal anime interaction always bring up those two and praise them endlessly. I just don't think they'll live up to the hype.

And I think the fandom in the 90s is the entire reason I've avoided Pokemon. Now, it's the aged graphics and childish storylines, but I was the right age group for it in the 90s.

Um, no, never in my life. I don't let myself get bothered at all by things like that. I mean, who really gives a fuck how people act? If I genuinely enjoy something too, I don't really see why I should let other people affect my enjoyment of it either.

It's not really all that hard to seperate fandoms from actual the actual work. Hunter x Hunter is my favourite JUMP series but the fandom tended to be rather obnoxious and entitled last I checked.

Large fanbases as a whole are pretty dumb.

In general I have no real problems with fandoms, but if there's one group that irks me then it's definitely the fandom of Madoka Magica. It always gets a ton of praise because
"that huge twist at the end of episode 3", but once you know that there's a twist coming the actual event is seriously underwhelming. The fact that people always describe it as "little girls dying" doesn't help either.
So yeah, I'm kind of annoyed that they advertise it by spoiling the damn thing (most of the time without even a spoiler warning too :/ )

I'd be lying if i said that this has never bothered me before. I found the Attack on Titan fanbase pretty insufferable and it kind of made me dislike the rest of the franchise retroactively. I've actually gotten over that now though and dislike it for other reasons.

I tend to steer clear of most fanbases like that now though, so I'm not too bothered by it any more. The Kill la Kill fanbase is apparently pretty horrible, but I haven't had any experience with that, and I still love the show. And in non-anime terms, then the Steven Universe fanbase is cancer, but it's one of my favourite western shows in years.

I'd be lying if i said that this has never bothered me before. I found the Attack on Titan fanbase pretty insufferable and it kind of made me dislike the rest of the franchise retroactively. I've actually gotten over that now though and dislike it for other reasons.

I tend to steer clear of most fanbases like that now though, so I'm not too bothered by it any more. The Kill la Kill fanbase is apparently pretty horrible, but I haven't had any experience with that, and I still love the show.
Back in the early weeks in which it was airing when there were folks constantly trying to figure out What it all Means™ before anyone else is what I found to be the most annoying aspect of its popularity.

Last edited:
This is why I only discuss anime with my wife and you dorks. We're mostly free of the fanboy bullshit here. Probably because the user base tends to be older and a bit more chill about things.

Well, mostly chill, I'm still going to be fangirling like a maniac about Hannibal till the end of time, and touting it as the greatest thing ever though to everyone I know.

giphy.gif

Also, you can't stop the ship train:
raw

I'm going all the way with this.

Last edited:
In general I have no real problems with fandoms, but if there's one group that irks me then it's definitely the fandom of Madoka Magica. It always gets a ton of praise because
"that huge twist at the end of episode 3", but once you know that there's a twist coming the actual event is seriously underwhelming. The fact that people always describe it as "little girls dying" doesn't help either.
So yeah, I'm kind of annoyed that they advertise it by spoiling the damn thing (most of the time without even a spoiler warning too :/ )

How would you advertise madoka? Part of the problem with the show is that it advertises itself a under false pretenses, so it is not easy to get someone to give it a chance, be it someone looking for a happy go lucky shojo, or someone who has zero interest in magical girl. Its very hard to to find a good way to recommend it.

As for OP, I dont know if a fandom for a specific anime has ruined a show. Naruto might be the closest? I have learned how to largely distance myself from places where fanbases are insufferable. Or my college anime club, which somehow was more weeb then my highschool one. The serious weeb group with no self awareness can turn me off of anime, but I know they are a very small minority so its easy to just gloss over that. My anecdotal experience is that most Millennials recognize the medium to be very good at telling different stories then general television, and with the american animation boom of the last few years, that respect for the medium has only increased.

That all said, I also mainly only go here for anime shit to so I avoid messes like /r/anime.

Last edited:
How would you advertise madoka? Part of the problem with the show is that it advertises itself a under false pretenses, so it is not easy to get someone to give it a chance, be it someone looking for a happy go lucky shojo, or someone who has zero interest in magical girl. Its very hard to to find a good way to recommend it.
I think folks could get by those 1st 2 eps on the merit of its visuals/directing at least.

And I don't Madoka really needs much more advertising unless we're talkin' a legit newfag.

Last edited:
How would you advertise madoka?.
Let me get my theatrical trailer voice going...
"In a world filled with evil witches, a young girl must make the decision to join the elite forces of magical girls. A simple wish would set her powers free, but every action has consequences. Does she dare step into the dangerous, but beautiful world beyond her own, or heed the words of her classmate and remain a normal girl?"

Also, weebs that aren't self aware is the reason I avoid fandom panels at conventions. Too many cringe experiences...

A fandom hasn't been bad enough that makes me not want to watch it.
I usually tend to ignore any conversations up to a fandom I try to avoid them at all costs lol. For example : black Butler fandom is out of control but I still watched it to see how enjoyable it was and it was honestly a 8/10 for me.

Just try to ignore them & not make them change your opinion on how you felt about the anime.

I also can't stand the One Punch Fandom like I admit certain scenes in OPF is funny but it isn't as funny as they make it seem to be on Tumblr.

Last edited:
what @gedata / @hamletsmage said, or just say "it's more serious than normal magical girls shows" maybe? In any case being a bit more vague would be nice

No. Not at all. Caring about the fandom makes as much sense as constantly reading the Youtube comments on the videos of popular Youtubers. Just... why would you?

In fact, I find that a lot of the "x fandom is terrible" talk is usually just people cherry-picking the fans they don't like in fandoms that are obviously large enough to find all sorts of people. Sometimes not even that: Sometimes it's just taking someone else's word for it and then perpetuating it oneself.

And then you have agendas, which is really weird, but still happens. Like with Steven Universe: Two specific people bullied a depressed girl whom then tried to kill herself, and suddenly it's weeks of "entire SU fandom ganged up on little girl!" Even when the bullies were arrested.
I still see the fandom accused of that narrative.

And then you have agendas, which is really weird, but still happens. Like with Steven Universe: Two specific people bullied a depressed girl whom then tried to kill herself, and suddenly it's weeks of "entire SU fandom ganged up on little girl!" Even when the bullies were arrested.
so they arrested thousands of people? :p

but seriously, that is indeed some serious bullshit

The first thing that tends to go wrong with fandoms is that they contain people. The more people they contain, the law of averages dilutes the potential pool of nice/decent/reasonable people to a kind of self-suffocating gruel of flaking egos and halitosis. Eventually the nucleus splits and then everything starts to smell a bit weird.

Fandoms, folks. They're the representative bin-juice of society. Fermented to its peak.

Delicious.

Fandom is sorta the reason I find it hard to get into anime outside of the internet, cause as soon as I bring up an anime topic in real life, I get one of these two responses, about 90% of the time: "OMG! *massive fangirlguying* I love that anime!" and then they proceed to go over weeaboo on me by correcting my pronunciation and opinions on the topic (like this one kid at Mcdonald's who freaks out every time we go through the drive-thru cause we have a Migi doll from Parasyte hanging on our window and he hates the way I pronounce Migi, saying that my lack of speaking Japanese isn't an excuse) or they just don't know the anime or watch or like anime. It's hard to find friends who like anime that will go into discussion but not freak out.

I can't really get into talks about Naruto, Bleach, and basically anything mainstream because of the fandom. I haven't fully watched Sword Art Online or Tokyo Ghoul or Fairytale, simply cause of the fandom. I honestly wait to watch more popular shows when they're no longer mainstream, just cause of the crazy hype and fandom making my image of the show get all distorted. Lots of things I like now were "in" a while ago, but I'm just now getting into them.

Back