People pages are even better (known for data, new sections)

sothis

Forum Moderator
Anime-Planet Founder
Developer
Following in the footsteps of other people/staff page updates, we've just launched a new batch of changes.

New role sections and ordering

Before, people pages had two sections: anime roles and manga roles. This is how most anime databases break the roles down, presumably because that's how everyone else does it. We've changed our sections to match something closer to IMDB, allowing you to look up all roles a person has, by their role (director, character design, voice actor, etc).

For someone with multiple types of roles, the section order depends on what the person's primary role is - voice actors have their VA roles listed first. Someone who's primarily an anime staff (a director, a producer, etc) has anime roles first, sorted in "importance" order (director first, then character design, etc). Mangaka have their author/artist roles listed first.

We'd love your feedback on these sections - I personally wonder if we should have some sort of quick filtering/navigation on the top, since otherwise if someone has multiple types of roles, it can be laborious to find their Character Design vs Voice Actor section. We're open to suggestions on this, or any other feedback on the sections. ^_^

"Known for" information

Also similar to IMDB, we've added a "known for" section at the top. The items shown here are based on an algorithm and (currently) can't be changed manually. It shows the person's top roles for what their main role is (so for people who are primarily voice actors, it will show voice acting roles. Directors will show director roles mostly, etc). If you find any weird "known for" info do let us know, as we can look into tweaking things further.

Here's some before and after images for a few different types of people:

GO NAGAI

Aid9ZVG.png

Hbzq6cv.png

MAKOTO SHINKAI

JyqpuH8.png

hVOcIZY.png

AKIRA TORIYAMA

NmstTAv.png

eGgtbrV.png

MEGUMI HAYASHIBARA

GF6JMNs.png

folW8DN.png

Upcoming people/staff page changes, and mods needed!

We're looking into several more changes on these pages:

• Ability to leave comments (just like on character pages)

• Automatic descriptions (which call out similar "known for" info) if a manual one doesn't exist

• People tooltips for when you're on an anime or manga page. These in theory will contain the known for info. This is coming soon

We're also hoping to get a moderator team going to start methodically updating the people database, and giving it some love, since we've never really had a team looking after it. Tons of the images are still old/small, we need to fix duplicate entries (common in cases where someone writes under a pseudonym, unfortunately), and could start getting descriptions written/added.

We also very badly need to get a team going to help add missing voice actors to the character database - this could potentially be a different "team" than the full people moderators since you'd only be updating roles, not fixing people images.

If you are potentially interested in this, chime in here. For the full role the key is you'd need to be skilled at programs like photoshop (so you don't need to be trained on how to not skew image ratios, how to save good quality images and crop, etc), and would have ample time to help out regularly. For the voice actor team, it's less technically challenging so you'd just need ample time :) For both roles, you'll need google hangouts access (for text chat - you don't need a g+ account, just the chrome plugin). This is how the mod teams communicate for easy, searchable group chat.

Thanks as always for your continued support of Anime-Planet :love::drinking::megusta:

Seems nice at least. Let's experiment with it a bit and see if I can find something weird.

So it seems easy to assume the ''known for'' algorithm is mostly based on the ''likes'' a character has. ( Or both likes and dislikes ) perhaps page views could be a factor as well but it's pretty decent already since most of the time ''likes/dislike'' count reflect the popularity/impopularity of a role.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's essentially right. We look at the list stats (not avg rating) or the love/hate counts. It's imperfect, but for the most part it seems pretty dead on.

I think the ultimate way to "fix" this (in case, for example, someone has a notorious role in an obscure series), is to add the manual override option. But, that's down the road for sure, and somewhat dependent on how many cases we find where it is a problem.

Yeah, that's essentially right. We look at the list stats (not avg rating) or the love/hate counts. It's imperfect, but for the most part it seems pretty dead on.

I think the ultimate way to "fix" this (in case, for example, someone has a notorious role in an obscure series), is to add the manual override option. But, that's down the road for sure, and somewhat dependent on how many cases we find where it is a problem.

I see, yeah, it's not perfect but works well enough.

It's a bit awkward/flawed with some roles of course, take Nao Touyama
1 - Chitoge ( Nisekoi ) is quite a relevant and popular
2 - Nagisa ( assassination classroom ) She only played him in a single OVA, the role was recasted for the popular tv series
3 - Shiho Sasaki isn't really that relevant to her career but was popular on this site.
4 - Yui YUIGAHAMA is again revelant and a popular role.

Yet Hikasa Youko's page is pretty much perfect with
1 - Her star making role
2 - Her latest most popular role / Well known role
3 - The most popular anime she played in ''recently'' as a main-ish character?
4- Well, 3 out of 4 is good, I guess. Seraphim is popular because Kore wa is a dark horse anime.

It might be an idea to make it possible for the system to not associate roles that have been recasted to different voice actors in the future but it's certainly not urgent.

Anime with multiple roles for a single voice actor seem to not list the character on the voice actors page at the moment

If this is a measure to avoid clutter on the voice actor page I'd understand. But just listing one character instead of ''multiple roles'' seems a bit strange.

Last edited:
I see, yeah, it's not perfect but works well enough.

It's a bit awkward/flawed with some roles of course, take Nao Touyama
1 - Chitoge ( Nisekoi ) is quite a relevant and popular
2 - Nagisa ( assassination classroom ) She only played him in a single OVA, the role was recasted for the popular tv series
3 - Shiho Sasaki isn't really that relevant to her career but was popular on this site.
4 - Yui YUIGAHAMA is again revelant and a popular role.

Yet Hikasa Youko's page is pretty much perfect with
1 - Her star making role
2 - Her latest most popular role / Well known role
3 - The most popular anime she played in ''recently'' as a main-ish character?
4- Well, 3 out of 4 is good, I guess. Seraphim is popular because Kore wa is a dark horse anime.

It might be an idea to make it possible for the system to not associate roles that have been recasted to different voice actors in the future but it's certainly not urgent.

Anime with multiple roles for a single voice actor seem to not list the character on the voice actors page at the moment

If this is a measure to avoid clutter on the voice actor page I'd understand. But just listing one character instead of ''multiple roles'' seems a bit strange.

these are clever bugs - opening a tracking issue for us to fix it.

btw, the nagisa thing i don't think is fixable without a manual override, but that one is a perfect example for why an override might be helpful. If nothing else, maybe we can hook up an "ignore" for certain roles (and eventually add an "add" role).

btw, the nagisa thing i don't think is fixable without a manual override, but that one is a perfect example for why an override might be helpful. If nothing else, maybe we can hook up an "ignore" for certain roles (and eventually add an "add" role).

I see, well I guess you supposedly could always temporarily work around by making a new ''group'' and for instance change her from being the ''voice actor'' for Nagisa into ''original voice actor'' or something but I have no idea how this sort of thing works on the code side of things and it would complicate things on Nagisa's character page anyway requiring more changes to that code as well.

the Nagisa thing also happens with this guy https://www.anime-planet.com/people/wataru-takagi for Zoro - he only voiced him in the Ganzack OVA

I think Sothis will be forced to write a code for this in the end because doing this sort of thing manually every time a voice actor has voiced a character for instance in a radio drama or OVA, special or short anime movie and it later changes.

Overall I think we can mostly agree that roles as a character in OVA/radio-drama/specials should not count as a role for the sake of this system or that TV series cancel out the role of the voice actor in the OVA or something like that.

Or we could just say that the latest tvseries/movie cast of a character is dominant over ova/oldtvseries. ( If something is re-adapted like Kanon 2006 vs original )

Yeah, none of that is possible because we're basing VA "known for" entirely on the popularity of that character all-up (there's no way to track love/hates on a series level)

We're going to implement a "hide" moderator feature as mentioned above that will help manually solve these issues.

Yeah, none of that is possible because we're basing VA "known for" entirely on the popularity of that character all-up (there's no way to track love/hates on a series level)

We're going to implement a "hide" moderator feature as mentioned above that will help manually solve these issues.

Well, I guess the moderators are going to have a field day with that but alas such is the system.

The 'duplicate roles don't show up for the same anime' situation is now fixed:
https://www.anime-planet.com/people/yuka-ootsubo

You can thank @ChalamiuS for the wizard-like updating speed <3

Much danke.

Well, I guess the moderators are going to have a field day with that but alas such is the system.

Much danke.

I don't think it's going to be as big of a deal as you think, unless I'm vastly underestimating the amount of people who will have roles like this. Odds are we'll have a 'suggest fixes' for known for content, and users can point out when they find cases like this. Then it'll take 30 seconds for the mod to push a button and hide it.

The other way I'm going to use it is for cases like this:
https://www.anime-planet.com/people/naoki-urasawa

20th Century Boys is listed, but so is 21st Century Boys. I'd argue that it would be more useful to hide 21st (since it's related) and allow a 4th, different manga to show up there instead, so I'll use the feature there as well.

20th Century Boys is listed, but so is 21st Century Boys. I'd argue that it would be more useful to hide 21st (since it's related) and allow a 4th, different manga to show up there instead, so I'll use the feature there as well.

Yeah, since sequels are counted as separate entities I can see this becoming a consistently occurring thing.

It kind of depends. I'd argue that a lot of authors only have one big franchise (attack on titan prime example), so I wouldn't hide entries there. It's only for cases where someone has a big catalog AND one of the top 4 happens to have a popular sequel. I still think it will be somewhat rare.

It kind of depends. I'd argue that a lot of authors only have one big franchise (attack on titan prime example), so I wouldn't hide entries there. It's only for cases where someone has a big catalog AND one of the top 4 happens to have a popular sequel. I still think it will be somewhat rare.

It will be funny to see the director of an ecchi show have for instance DxD season 1, DxD season 2, DxD season 3 etc. :P

oh...

https://www.anime-planet.com/people/tetsuya-yanagisawa

well, I'm of course not being serious about this, the guy basically only does DxD. :P

Last edited:
Reminds me of MyAnimeList. Nice and comfortable to use too. I don't mind this new update at all. I even like some of the new photos (though I rarely if ever browse the People's section unless a VA or Mangaka captures my interest.) too.

I am curious about one thing though. How are you going to do characters with two VAs? Some characters have a different VA for when they show up as a child. For example North Italy from Hetalia has two (same with his brother South Italy): Daisuke Namikawa voices him as an adult but as a child it was Aki Kanada who voiced him. (She also voices the child version of South Italy in episode 8 of World Series and on.) Brina Palencia voices him as a child in English (Colleen Clinkenbeard voices the child version of South Italy in English).

How would the "Known For" work for those people who share the same character role? Are the child version going to become a separate characters like they are on AniDB or be combined with a little note to say they voiced the character as a child?

Last edited:
Reminds me of MyAnimeList. Nice and comfortable to use too. I don't mind this new update at all. I even like some of the new photos (though I rarely if ever browse the People's section unless a VA or Mangaka captures my interest.) too.

I am curious about one thing though. How are you going to do characters with two VAs? Some characters have a different VA for when they show up as a child. For example North Italy from Hetalia has two (same with his brother South Italy): Daisuke Namikawa voices him as an adult but as a child it was Aki Kanada who voiced him. (She also voices the child version of South Italy in episode 8 of World Series and on.) Brina Palencia voices him as a child in English (Colleen Clinkenbeard voices the child version of South Italy in English).

How would the "Known For" work for those people who share the same character role? Are the child version going to become a separate characters like they are on AniDB or be combined with a little note to say they voiced the character as a child?

Though it's not really my business to answer this currently, the plan is to just have a tool to disable some ''known for'' anime manually. So basically, the people mods will be able to make the ''known for'' feature ignore roles that are not relevant to the actual voice actor/staff member. At least that is the plan that Sothis discussed or rather unveiled to some of us to my knowledge.

We discussed other things that could be done to resolve it however due to the nature of adding characters being a character on character basis thing going around and hiding irrelevant roles for people isn't exactly much different since it's intended to be a simple mouse click in comparison to adding characters, but I'm rambling, this is all I know and think at the moment.

Back