Lovely Complex

Episodes 8 & 9
I like everything they've done here. Otani's answer was perfectly reasonable. He obviously has a special relationship with her that he's never really thought about, but to go from best friends to boyfriend and girlfriend in a split second would be hard and awkward in most cases. Koizumi's reactions were reasonable as well. Regretting her decision to confess is something anyone could go through, and to even say "forget it never happened" is something I'm sure almost everyone has thought of at some point when revealing something so serious. They handled it all very well and the build up through it all was perfect. And I liked that the celebrity they both adore is what sets Koizumi back on track. It's cute that they made his story with his wife the same as Koizumi and Otani's.

This show has been incredibly fun and sweet so far. I'm still highly enjoying Koizumi and Nobu's relationship, too. Nobu is a seriously good friend, and a good character in general. I hope we get an episode dedicated to her at some point. I'd like to see more Chiharu and Suzuki as well.
This is exactly what I was thinking during these two episodes.
The scene with the celebrity is nothing original but I can agree that it was handled well.

Episodes 10 and 11 watched now. Pretty good couple of episodes.
But my goodness does Risa cry a lot. Poor thing can't handle all the emotions! Still, things are progressing for the better despite her pessimistic view.

I got slightly worried with the whole business with ex but when Risa left the gymnasium I was sure he would go after her. Risa still can't help but go All Kyoujin though.

EDIT: Quadruple post!!

Episodes 10 & 11
Risa definitely does cry a lot. Thankfully she tries to take action to make things work out for the better, but she really puts her emotions out on display for everyone. If this show wasn't so comedic and generally silly, it would probably come off as annoying. I'm glad it's working out the way it is.

I'm not surprised Kanzaki would come back for Otani. Dumped by her boyfriend, attempts to go back to the old one. Not very nice. I like Otani's answer, it was cute. I was afraid we might get into some serious drama here, but they pretty much immediately cut it out. I imagine from here on out we'll be mostly seeing Otani's developing feelings for Koizumi. I wonder what will finally push him into realizing he likes her. Maybe someone else will come along and start making moves on her? Haruka's pretty much nonexistent anymore. I wonder where Seiko went off to as well...

This is exactly what I was thinking during these two episodes.
The scene with the celebrity is nothing original but I can agree that it was handled well.
Indeed. This show is pretty good at taking your usual cliches and making them work in a fun and innocent manner.

Episode 12
I know it's supposed to be lighthearted, but I'd beat the crap out of someone if they acted like Haruka did. I can't believe he ruined her chocolates and she didn't care. He might not like Otani, but he didn't consider Koizumi's feelings or the work she put into the chocolates. I don't like him very much.

I'm glad Koizumi went after Otani and confronted him about accepting her chocolates. That's good development right there. I was afraid we were about to take a step back when he said he wouldn't accept them. If he had started to avoid her because of that talk with Nakao I'd have been annoyed, but thankfully Koizumi pushed through. The talk was necessary, though. If he's so unsure of his feelings, he needs to watch what he says. This boy needs to be more aware, not just of himself but other people.

Watched episodes 12 and 13.

Haruka is a massive dick right? Trying to 'White Knight' despite it being inappropriate and failing badly was a terrible idea.
I liked that Risa went after Otani despite being sort of rejected, she is determined and trying to push through her pessimism. I think the blaming Otani got in the classroom was a little unfair, he hasn't actually done anything wrong which Risa accepts.

Of course they would make him forget! It was quite obvious he was out of it when they kissed. Not his fault, I put that bit of Risa knocking him away down to pure comedic reasoning really. At least she is a bit more aware of what's going on in his head.

Episode 13
Bleh, I hate the whole "something important happens and is later forgotten by the character" thing. Doesn't matter if it's serious or comedic, it always leaves a bad impression on me. I did get a bit of a chuckle at Otani ending up with his face in the cake, though. Talk about an awkward first kiss.

Watched episodes 12 and 13.

Haruka is a massive dick right? Trying to 'White Knight' despite it being inappropriate and failing badly was a terrible idea.
I liked that Risa went after Otani despite being sort of rejected, she is determined and trying to push through her pessimism. I think the blaming Otani got in the classroom was a little unfair, he hasn't actually done anything wrong which Risa accepts.

I agree. I dislike that everyone ganged up on Otani. He hasn't done anything wrong and is trying to go about it the best he can. I imagine if it was the other way around, Otani confessed to Koizumi and she turned him down, there would be absolutely no ganging up on Koizumi. They would probably poke fun at Otani instead.

@CommanderKarasu I really must apologise in advance! I could not leave myself hanging after episode 14 and had to get that little arc watched in one. I ended up watching episodes 14 to 17 as a result.

This face is glorious!
jRikz2w.png

This episode ended in such a way that I could not leave it there. I don't believe Risa for a second that she will properly give up on him but still. Her little crush (but not actuall, full on in love state) with Maity makes sense but argh!
I still believe that Otani has done no real wrong but he needs to do a better job explaining things (well Risa could improve in this department too).
The way this one ended had the same issue the last had in that I can't just leave it here. Ah shit! I knew she would be standing there, we all bloody did right?
Maity must be joking about taking her for himself. He gives me every impression that he is on their side. Risa making that club was outrageously annoying, however I understand that she is doing it as a poke at Otani primarily. She can't bring herself to fully cheer for Maity during his little 'spar' with Otani.
Risa is going full Maity! Maity! again. At least it shows her once again unable to actually follow through, finding herself incapable of cheering for Maity in yet another 'spar', climaxing with Otani injuring himself. Nice to see the confirmation that Maity is indeed on their side.
The cycle rides were nice, obviously showing Otani's jealousy of which Risa is aware of but tries to convince herself otherwise. Again, it ends with her wanting to stop liking Otani only in lighter circumstances, I still don't believe it what so ever of course.
This ends the Maity trilogy of episodes though. That was a tough watch but not for the wrong reasons exactly.
Heh, that basketball team eh?
Best episode of the four I watched. Risa is clearly not going to give up on him and he is finally starting to say the things he needed to say, even if Risa was asleep (har har now he knows how she feels).
Risa is still doubting everything which is fine, it might seem frequent but it's not unbelievable that a teenager would act this way.
Thank Christ she quit that Maity club.

Phew, that's that then. Don't feel that you have to catch up. I can pause for the next few days, I don't mind at all since I did go and watch 4 times as many episodes as I should have!

No need to apologize! haha That obviously means things got good and I'm missing out. I'll be watching soon, I better not be disappointed. :p

I'm somewhat still keeping up. I am a few episodes behind but I might be able to caught up this weekend.

I agree on everything that has been said so far. There's not much to say on previous episodes so I will skip to episode 11
Is it just me or is Otani more nicer to Koizumi? Seems like he's slowly realizing his feelings for Koizumi. I want Ontani and Koizumi to get together already or at least have more drama. I kind of want Otani to get back together with Mayu just to create some drama. I am starting to like Nobu more and more, probably my favorite female character in this.

Episode 14
Oh wow, things did get serious.
Otani needs punched sometimes. He does give Koizumi special attention and obviously does things for her that he wouldn't do for anyone else, but he's so unbelievably dense. Again, not his fault, but he's so frustrating. It's a good thing, though. It's a very realistic relationship. Probably one of the most realistic I've seen anime, along with Nana. It's all very awkward and neither Koizumi or Otani know exactly what they're doing. Otani, especially. Koizumi has been trying so hard and she's so strong, it's good to see her finally breakdown. It's been coming for the last few episodes, and this episode handled it beautifully. I loved that she grabbed him and kissed him before declaring she was done. She'll probably regret it later, but she finally let her emotions run free. Maybe this will finally wake up Otani and he'll see things more clearly. He doesn't mean to do anything wrong, but it's very hard on Koizumi. He needs to see that.

Maity is a character I've been waiting to see. I would have been surprised if they hadn't introduced another character that Koizumi ended up crushing on. He's super stereotypical, but that's the point. haha. I like it. How on earth a teacher is allowed to wear a shirt so open is beyond me. :laugh:
I foresee him giving some friendly competition to Otani and most likely giving him advice.

All that aside, I like the new OP and ED. The OP is super cute and fun, and while I like the previous ED's song better, this new is good too. I'm really enjoying this show. I'll edit this post with the next few episodes since I'm going to watch ahead as @SpanglishJC did. I'm too excited to wait.

Episode 15
They're both such idiots. Arghh.
I love that Nobu is so against Koizumi liking Maity. She has such good sense. I love her so much.

It's only been two episodes, but I'm sick of the "love Maity" thing. I know why it's happening and it's a good development, but it's so hard to watch. Arghh. Koizumi knows she doesn't actually love Maity, but she's trying to act as if she's moved on. She doesn't want to hurt anymore. Otani is becoming more and more agitated and doesn't like him at all, acting as if he doesn't know why. He knows deep down, he just doesn't realize it. Maity is probably going to be the factor that pushes them together.

I love that Koizumi couldn't cheer for Maity during the basketball game. That was also pretty sad and hard to watch. I really felt for Otani there. I didn't feel for him when he shouted with all his might that he "doesn't like Koizumi", though. I know he's frustrated and confused, but grr. I'm so angry. The little punk. Koizumi put aside her feelings to go check on him and this is what she's faced with.

I like Maity himself, he's going to push Otani in the right direction, but all the fangirling over him is so awkward. It's meant to be that way, but goodness me is this show good at what it's doing.

Episodes 16 & 17
I really enjoyed the bike ride scenes. Seeing Otani take action was nice and long awaited. I liked the cop chasing after them as well. No matter what, this show always returns to comedy and they usually manage to make it fit quite well despite the drama going on.

Episode 17 was quite refreshing and overall as sweet as can be. Otani finally admitted that Koizumi is necessary in his life, despite her not hearing it. Of. Course. But that's okay, she's not as dense as Otani and he was the one who needed to hear it out loud. Plus it's somewhat payback for what he did episodes ago.

I enjoyed seeing a bit more of Chiharu and Suzuki in this episode. I'm a little sad they've been so neglected. I liked the little part where Nobu was upset she had to wear the Otani headband and said she was being disloyal, which made Chiharu worry and Suzuki reassured her it's okay and that he's wearing one too. So cute! I really do hope that we'll get at least half an episode dedicated to them before it ends. We haven't seen much of them since they became a couple.

Woo, that was a ride. @SpanglishJC I can see why you didn't want to wait! I don't think I would have been able to, those were some quality episodes and exactly what I've been waiting for.

Last edited:
@CommanderKarasu what you said about episode 16 was spot on.
Seeing Risa in the club is very frustrating, a tough watch but it makes sense given the context of the show. It could have handled it far worse too.
You caught up quick! This means I can watch episode 18 and not have to wait, EXCELENTE!

Episode 18
It has finally all come together! I knew Otani had good reasons for missing the party, it would have been out of character to not go. Massive moment at the end! I would not have been surprised if they kept dragging it on but I am glad they didn't.

Episode 19
A little bit of drama with the misunderstanding as to whether Risa can call Otani her boyfriend or not, quickly cleared up by the end of the episode is a nice way, with the ex being present and all. Risa is really awkward on her first date with him, which works perfectly.
I have a feeling I am not going to like this Mimi girl, with her intentions to ruin a great thing.

Episode 18
Awwwwee! This was super cute!
I loved it! Otani missing the party and the text message was perfect. Super cheesy, just what I like. I wasn't expecting the kiss, but it was a great surprise. I knew he would do something special, missing the party would have been a huge miss on his character.

The party itself was cute, too. I really like all the characters. I hope I'm not the only one who ships Seiko and Haruka. haha. They're adorable together.

Episode 19
And somehow this episode was 10x cuter than the last. I'm seriously in love.
I liked the bit of confusion as to whether they're going out or not. It's an easy misunderstanding since neither of them are good at communicating well and it was never outright said. I also liked that Otani was the one upset over what Koizumi said, since it's usually the other way around. It was a nice change. The whole scene at the athletic event was outrageously adorable. Seeing them both admit their feelings, and for it to be played on the big screen, had me smiling the whole time. Probably the cutest scene in the show, honestly.

I'm not sure what to think of Mimi. She seems like a harmless, young fangirl of Otani. I'm sure Koizumi will make a big deal out of it, though.

I just love how awkward yet cute their relationship is. I don't think any other show has anything quite like it.

Just finished two more episodes.

Mimi = annoying! But she gets it by the end so that's ok I suppose. I understand that the show has to throw more things at us but personally I would not mind watching the two of them do things for a bit, like the last episode.
Not a bad episode though, I did find myself laughing a few times.

It was nice to see some problems for another couple, Nobu-chan and Nakao-chi. Nakao's attempt as trying to get split up to make it 'easier' on Nobu was ridiculous, amusing though. We haven't seen them sad at all so it was a nice change to have them as the primary focus and all's well that ends well. I have a horrible feeling about what is coming up next, what with the scene at the end and the preview (not to mention the ominous episode title).
I was tempted to watch it but I can't go and watch an episode that may potentially have a tragic ending and head to bed, which is what I should be doing right now!

Near the end now :(

Just finished two more episodes.

Mimi = annoying! But she gets it by the end so that's ok I suppose. I understand that the show has to throw more things at us but personally I would not mind watching the two of them do things for a bit, like the last episode.
Not a bad episode though, I did find myself laughing a few times.
That's pretty much how I felt about it. Probably the only episode I didn't really like.

Episode 21
Hey, I got the episode I wanted!
I'm quite pleased to have an episode devoted to one of the other couples. It wasn't exactly the happiest of episodes, but it still ended on a positive note. Nobu-chan is a great character, as I've already said numerous times, but I like Nakao a lot too. They're both adorable. It was also nice to see something serious with them, as they've always been show to be super lovey-dovey and laid back. Nobu-chan's grandmother was cute too, but it's a little odd that she had pink hair. :laugh:

I wonder what's going to happen with Otani and Koizumi's graduation plans. Otani would indeed make a good basketball teacher, but what about Koizumi?

I'm not sure how I feel about the bit at the end and the preview for the next episode. @SpanglishJC Would you be up to finishing the last three episodes in one go tomorrow? I'm sure it will be hard to watch just one. :p

@lindapearl How have you been doing?

I'm currently on episode 18. I wanted to finish it last weekend but couldn't. This week is busy for me so I don't think I can catch up/ finish it until the weekends.

As for what I thought of it so far:
The last few episodes did get intense. One of the reasons why I was so into it was because of Misty. I first thought he would try to steal Risa away from Ontani. In some parts it really seem that way, like how he purposely provoked Ontani into saying he doesn't like Risa and Risa overheard it. It all thanks to Misty that Ontani realize his feelings for Risa. Now that Risa and Ontani is somewhat together I believe Misty won't appear much anymore. I will miss him.

Well, I just watched episodes 22-24. I can't remember what happened in which episode though, so I'll put everything under one spoiler.

Episodes 22-24(end)
I suppose it's only fair that we get an episode where someone else likes Koizumi, since we got that with Otani and Mimi. The whole thing with Kazuki almost kissing Koizumi while she was asleep was super cliche, but it seemed like they were going for last minute drama. I get the feeling he played more of a part in the manga. I do like that Otani wasn't actually all that mad at Koizumi, instead he was upset with mostly himself and his exams, along with not being able to focus. I don't necessarily think Koizumi was wrong about going with Kazuki to the live; it certainly wasn't good timing with what was going on and the misunderstanding, plus Otani was bogged down with studying, but under normal circumstances it would have been fine. She made a simple mistake, but with all the pressure on Otani, I can understand why he said what he said. One of the numerous things I like about this show is that you can understand both sides and why they acted like they did, it's all genuine. I liked their little reunion as well. Very simple and sweet, just like their relationship. Otani hugging her was cute. Seeing him outright show his feelings and saying how he feels is always nice, since we get it from Koizumi all the time and rarely him.

And then we get a special bit about Suzuki and Chiharu. Pretty standard stuff, it was much like the episode with Nobu-chan and Nakao, but I'm still glad we got something. Seeing Chiharu get angry and actually lift a desk above her head was a surprise, albeit a cute one. I'm sure Suzuki didn't know she could do that. :laugh: They were a cute couple that sadly got neglected, far more than Nobu-chan and Nakao even, but I'm glad they got a happy end. Even if it was a little bland.

I enjoyed everything involving Otani's exams. Him getting kicked out of his house and having to stay with Koizumi was great fun. Everything was so innocent and sweet, which I appreciate. I'm glad they've been mostly comfortable with each other throughout the show, sparing us from any awkward advances or "I don't know how to interact with him/her". It's all natural for them, making it refreshing and a delight to watch. Otani's introduction to Koizumi's parents was a riot, along with the whole being late to the exams. I feel like they really kicked up the comedy for this, but the bike scenes always get to me. The officer even made an appearance. :laugh: I loved all of it.

I loved the aftermath, too. Everyone coming into Koizumi's work and teasing Kazuki, the poor kid. Koizumi looking for Otani was nicely done, leading up to her almost taking him out on the bridge. This show is excellent at going from dramatic and heartfelt to hilarious and heartfelt within seconds. It reminds me of Gintama in that way, although Gintama takes it above and beyond while Lovecom stays on relaxed levels.

I figured Koizumi would go down the road of fashion, but I like how they went about it. Having her model and her seeing how it all happens firsthand was cool. Seeing her all dolled up was quite the sight too. It suddenly reminded me of Nana a bit.

I wasn't sure how they were going to end it, but I think they did it in a good way. While it was nothing spectacular or overwhelming, it fit the show nicely. Koizumi's speech nailed it; she was both laughing and crying, as the ending was both funny and full of feeling.

I'm going to miss this show. It was a little slow in the beginning, but it grew on me more and more as it went on. I enjoyed the characters greatly, the music unexpectedly stood out and surprised me, and it overall felt so genuine. It's been while since I've come across a show that felt so sincere. I think Koizumi might be one of my favorite characters, honestly. She has flaws and is aware of them, but she persists and always ends up smiling through it. She's quirky and easily lovable, and she's not afraid to speak her mind no matter who the person is. Her actions and thoughts are pretty relatable too. Nobu-chan was a great supporting character as well. Everyone was superb. I only wish some of the secondary characters got a little more spotlight. I think that would be my only gripe with the show.

Easily one of my favorites. I'm very glad I finally got around to finishing it.

That's that, Lovely Complex is finished and I must say it was a thoroughly enjoyable ride. A few bumps along the way but overall a great show with a pair of main characters.

The first half was your usual stuff. Finding out that Koizumi has a part time job and all whilst thinking about her future and what not was the main thing here, of course having seen the preview I know what to expect. It was obvious the guy liked her, I must say I am relieved that he tried to kiss while she slept meaning it was all him as Risa would NEVER cheat on Otani, I mean she is utterly infatuated with him after all. She is a little too forgiving, I get it was a moment of weakness and he didn't mean to cause a misunderstanding but what he did was still not on.

About the concert, Risa really should have declined. I understand why she went, it's Umibozu. Still, considering the previous event it was a stupid mistake, which she does admit. It makes sense Otani is hurt but he does react too harshly, given the pressure of the exams I can forgive that. Continued in the next episode...

It was difficult to watch Risa trying to come to terms with what happened. I almost expected her to have a mental breakdown but she actually never gets near that stage. Having them getting together by the end I felt was well done. Both Otani and Risa did silly things and decided to get things back on track and Otani was a lot more expressive about his feelings towards her, excelente!

The Suzuki and Chiharu conundrum was nice to see but comes about in a silly way. Suzuki doesn't get into her school and decides to do something akin Nakao did in a previous episode and imply it would be best to go separate ways, even though that was not a very clever thing to say and is quickly reprimanded by the group into telling Chiharu the right thing. It's resolved pretty quickly and to be fair it's nice and all but it felt a bit out of place. Chiharu picking up the desk sort of makes up for it though, har har.

Another beauty:
q3zC0Sv.png
I really need to go through this series and take a load of screenshots!
What a wonderful episode! Otani's bizarre introduction to Risa's parents was pretty great, a nice little scene of the two of them falling asleep on the table and the whole sequence of getting to his exam on time by bike was brilliant. Pretty funny how they spoke to each other in huffs and puffs afterwards.

I did like how they used the modelling scene with Mimi to enable Risa to decide what she wanted to do. At first I was thinking it would be the modelling which would have been an odd choice given that Risa isn't comfortable with it but it instead has her admiring the stylist's role. I could see her being pretty good at that. Otani shyly admitting she was cute when modelling was great.

The scene in the restaurant was another good one, with Risa worrying herself to death over the fact that Otani had surely failed. I really liked the boy being lied to twice (although Nobu-chan is kind of a motherly figure to Risa right?) and thinking to himself he won't be lied to again when his boss says she was young once.
She almost killed him with that glomp! Touching scene on the bridge, a really good one, with Otani passing!
The graduation ceremony was handled well, the pair of them being on stage doing their usual thing was the best way to close the school year out. I wanted to see more after the ceremony but as the Rolling Stones have said, 'You can't always get what you want'.

Sad to see this show come to a close. It started pretty alright but only after a few episodes I found myself looking forward to watching every day, sometimes not following the 1 ep a day schedule... oops.

It was a lot of fun watching this show and posting thoughts in here. Cheers @CommanderKarasu for making the buddy group and actually getting me to watch it! (Had it on the w2w for sometime.)

EDIT: I just noticed that the last episode of Lovely Complex was my 2000th watched episode overall! Arbitrary milestone accomplished!

Last edited:
Back