Kuroko's Basketball

Episode 11-12-13.
YES! Oh, man. I thought they were actually done for. They focused so much on Kagami that even I forgot about Kuroko. That last second swat was awesome.

...Also, whoever this pink haired girl is? I hate her already. 2 females in this entire show, and they're both annoying.

...Also, whoever this pink haired girl is? I hate her already. 2 females in this entire show, and they're both annoying.

Better get used to her, since she will be featured more prominently once Aomine appears
and she also has the hots for Kuroko/is part of his past as a Teiko player
Also, rr watching a sports anime and liking it? You getting soft?

giphy.gif

Episode 14.
Strike that previous comment. Cause there was a shit-ton to trash here.
First off, that sick OP got changed. This noise they replaced it with..ugh.
Oh my God. One girl being a manager was enough of a stretch. Now there's 2 of them. Joy...
The exceedingly annoying fanservice gags. I'm here for basketball, not tits.
Said gags turned Coach Stupid even more annoying than she already was to start with.
And instead of what may have been an entertaining 1 on 1, I miss it cause they needed more talking.
Oh, there it is. That old hatred.

Episode 16-17-18.
Fuck. This. Show.
Of course Annoying McFunbags is some kind of super coach. Which again, she's a chick. So it's a special kind of bullshit. And with that prick literally running circles around the whole team, it was that much more annoying to watch. I don't like blowouts in real sports, and I sure as Hell don't like them in my anime about sports. If they were gonna lose, at least have them attempt a goddamn comeback.
I thought this show could prove me wrong about sports anime, but nope. It went to shit fast and hard. Gonna plow through the rest tomorrow, give it the low rating it deserves and be done with it.

Last edited:
Bringing this back to life for the buddy group @MythicalTurkey and I are starting today. I got a bit of an early start, so have my first impressions...well, early.

Honestly, this is so dramatic for a show about first-year high school basketball. I wasn't prepared for the intense opening about the legends or some of the music they chose to throw in.

Episode 1:
I'm already not a fan of red hair guy, (I'll get the names right eventually), but I love how everyone is so confident he'll be amazing just because he's 1. huge, and 2. has attended middle school in America. "Learning from the source" I believe they said? Haha. I didn't know many gigantic, buff, or adamantly pro-ball middle schoolers growing up here. Most of those kids did it for fun *gasp*

Also, here's a picture of me as a coach:
AAtQhEP.png

Minus the scientific analysis eyes. I just have regular staring ones.

The fact that red guy himself even buys into the whole American thing amuses me. He's full of himself. Do we really have a reputation for being that seriously crazy about our middle school sports? I know we have one as a sporty nation, but I'd think club standards in general may be arguably a bit higher elsewhere, probably. It kills me how appalled he is.

But aside from all that, I fucking love Kuroko already. The "calm down" leg bump killed me. I was not expecting it at all. He's so stoic and monotone, and I love me that kind of a character. The rest of the cast is nothing special and a bit boring, but hopefully they'll grow on me over time.

It's pretty interesting that the main character has been set up as a supporting one. He doesn't want to be the best basketball player, he wants to make someone else the best instead. I guess that change-up makes it pretty unique in a way from the start.

I like this. I won't hate watching it, I don't think.

Problem I usually have with sports anime is that they're too glorifying of the sport and the character archetypes are too obvious and everything's predictable.

So far, this is exactly that. But this time I've managed my expectations to be REALLY LOW for this show, so this time maybe I can find good things to say about it.

So far kuroko is... ok. I know everything about him already I feel, and that's not just because of the popularity of this show. His whole vibe is kinda cool I guess, it is kiiinda like nagisa from AC. So I like that. But it is kinda silly how "invisible" he is to other people.

But his personality... it's not much. It's the eyes partially, I think. We'll see how he develops though.

Red guy is dumb, as red guys always are. But he's not as irritating as I thought he would be. These characters are understated enough to not annoy me, so that's good.
It's decent

But aside from all that, I fucking love Kuroko already. He's so stoic and monotone, and I love me that kind of a character

It's pretty interesting that the main character has been set up as a supporting one.
I'm already not a fan of red hair guy
Huzzah, a man of quality

Hurray for blue hair, down with red hair!

Problem I usually have with sports anime is that they're too glorifying of the sport and the character archetypes are too obvious and everything's predictable.

So far, this is exactly that. But this time I've managed my expectations to be REALLY LOW for this show, so this time maybe I can find good things to say about it.

This is also the main reason I was a bit hesitant to watch this and don't plan to watch most sports-related anime in general. I've heard so many good things about this show and seen great ratings, but I'm trying to expect it'll be just like every other sports anime for me.

Episode 2:
I don't know. I found this one boring compared to the first. I guess it was supposed to get us pumped and inspired with all the "gonna be the best" talk, but maybe I'm just not in a mood to feel that today.
I still love Kuroko, but I hope the running gag of him just appearing on people gets downplayed a bit the further we go on. It's not really going to be enjoyable anymore after a while, and I can see the silliness in it.
Also figured Red was going to get his ass handed to him by Kise. Not surprised Kise tried getting Kuroko back, either, or that Kuroko thinks differently than the others in the generation of miracles do.

Episode 3:
This was leaps and bounds better than the last.
They are definitely going to play Kuroko’s invisibility into the ground. I know that’s his talent and what makes him special, but can we do that without the gag?

Either way, I enjoyed what we saw of the match, predictable as it was.

I have a feeling Seirin is still going to lose despite uncovering a “weakness”, but it’ll be close and Kise might eat some of his words.

Not too much else to say outside of that.

Last edited:
I think I lost my buddy :crying:

Episode 4:
I always love how dramatic injuries are in anime. Kuroko got slapped on the face and was down for the count. I’m pretty sure I died playing soccer once and the coach told me I was good to go lol

Looks like they are going to play kuroko’s invisibility into the ground, though, unfortunately. It was fun watching him startle people at first, but if it’s going to continue being the running gag when he meets new people, it will be tiresome.

I also might like some of the minor characters MORE now than I do Kagami/Kuroko, (which by the way, red guy has grown on me now.)

Hate whoever that loser obsessed with horoscopes is getting pulled to Kaijo in a rickshaw already, though.

I’m actually pleasantly surprised Seirin didn’t lose. Usually the first shitty game a team plays is barely won by the opponent and serves as their motivation to get better. I suppose half of the characters already have that just from witnessing Kise’s plays. It’ll definitely get harder from here on out, considering he was the second weakest of the strong.

2-4

Mr age of the fangirls has arrived and he is spelling trouble for our main duo! They'll have to invent some revolutionary new tactics to get past him, such as passing the ball more.

Hard to believe that was the big game-changing lynchpin strategy but I can't expect too much from these sportsu animeu. One person passing the ball a lot isn't working? How about TWO people passing the ball. :o

I'm used to this. A "good" sports anime ramps up the pressure each game over and over like a normal shounen would but at smaller intervals and within the same fight. Haikyuu also did this. It works for what it is.

I'm not thrilled with mr fangirls being here, but he's not irritating. The show has done a good job so far of not having anyone be totally obnoxious (though red does tread this line a few times) so I pretty much forgive it for everything. And it hasn't been completely uninteresting, it's good that the team were able to show the coach that they needed the whole court to play this match so quickly, and kuroko is (emotionlessly) showing us why he's the protag, being the analytical one and the one without whom no one would get anywhere. I liked it when he called out mr red for being so mad.

Comparisons to my favorite anime stop here really, I haven't seen that many despite the two fandoms always making them. So this is all a thing in itself now for me. All I can say is the relationship between these leads, and their personalities and everything about them is way closer to that of haikyuu than of AC. In fact, it's something more unique than I was expecting, with the protag being put in place by the author to play a support role to a deurtag. Interesting. So yeah, not like AC at all.

The rest of the team are also more properly introduced now and they seem alright. As the arbitrary switching of scales goes on the one thing I'm consistantly entertained by is the music in this show. It makes things feel way more intense than they are and the music changes with the scenes, like in any good anime, it should.

Was silly seeing kuroko bleed from getting whacked by some guys hand. Come on man.

Either way, I enjoyed what we saw of the match, predictable as it was.
Predictable is a word for it. As it goes on the bait and switches will probably grow more and more out of nowhere, but I mean, I'm always expecting that to happen so it's like "oh of course, something high octane is happening in my high octane anime, but in the other direction than it was going previously". Hopefully the presentation will be enough to keep it from becoming a drag.

Looks like they are going to play kuroko’s invisibility into the ground, though, unfortunately. It was fun watching him startle people at first, but if it’s going to continue being the running gag when he meets new people, it will be tiresome.
Yeah.

I like understated characters, but kuroko seems like he's a beta test for this kind of character, because there's so much goddamn focus put on how "invisible" he is that it might as well be a weaponized gag. It's not that interesting, it's just kind of ridiculous. Even after the first time it happened I had a hard time not tilting my head in confusion.

If kuroko is so presenceless, why put such a huge emphasis on that fact...
seems like a conflict of interest. If he's invisible, show the audience that, give them something they won't expect, make the audience react that way to seeing him instead of using the characters to TELL the audience what this character is, let us see it for ourselves, use some kind of denial of expectation.

But I might just be spoiled.

Nothing really breaks this anime so far for me, but there's nothing that's impressed me.

Episode 5:

Honestly, I'm kind of left without much to say again.

I wasn't surprised Kise cried over losing, and I'm also not surprised I still hate green-haired man. I did really enjoy the latter half of the episode. That mini-game where Kuroko, Kagami, and Kise all worked together to take down the assholes was kinda nice. And Kuroko's little "look at these guns" moment got a genuine snort out of me. MUCH better than a disappearing gag.

I'm still not hooked or impressed yet, but it's looking up for me.

Episode 6:

And we open with an invisibility joke again. Strong start.

When Kagami said "This is Japanese lunch time rush" I almost peed my pants. English is always so unexpected, but Kuroko returning with bread unnoticed was not. I also feel like I just witnessed casual racism. The students in this show are very afraid of/in awe of foreigners, and I feel like they've done Dad's character a little dirty...
He also looks like he's 40 years old.
The start of the match was predictable. Just more cocky characters who believe they can't be defeated because of a single players talent, only to be shocked by Seirin.

Still fun, but nothing special.

I have remembered one thing about myself watching this, though. Training montages always make me feel like doing sick work outs but I never actually do them

Episode 7:

I'm getting excited about this now that the tournaments are kicking off. Watching Shutoku play in this bit gave me something to look forward to, given that there was a hint Green guy is hiding something extra scary up his sleeve than just his 100% shot-making talent. I know we wont see it until Seirin plays, which will be the formulaic shock we're used to, but I am interested to see how the team's players grow and strategize to counter all these opponents.

5-9

They win, then they play against this weirdly arrogant black guy, then they watch this green guy be all cool or whatever to foreshadow hardships yet to come, and now we finally get into a new game after all that. Some decent comedy moments I suppose until then. One even made me smile.

Okay I get it, the entire show is a tournament arc, but this game has the most annoying adversaries so far. The big guy is boring and the little bald guy is well, you know. But at least something might be finally happening with our leads, they've finally hit a wall with redhead racking up the fouls, and the other members of the team get a chance to shine. I like this, and i especially like the glasses guy. He's cool :D

I like how blonde guy became a supporting spectator after that first game of the show.
I'm having some positive things to say. Not gonna re-iterate the stuff i don't like again. Obviously all these super HILARIOUS kuroko is invisible gags aren't going anywhere.

Episode 1
“Manga are books too.”
VEiz01uBeML7i6scAOGeWDdtdJYnvDE-qJlc085PDPtaYFrwlry-CTk4eZP_Kk3YYb8TTuYPs2i-Qic-gYMbNYNtptsDwxxNUWxR6aY5iWGdbzZ0jj07DRTALqG3onPQwwhOfq2b

I really like that the coach is female and not obsessed with the team romantically or sexually. Appreciating them as athletes is how a coach should view his or her team.

A shadow...hmm more like a shadow in the shade.

I like it when teams get some practice in before they play an opposing team. Splitting the team in two and having them face each other is my top preference.

Kuroko’s love of vanilla shakes is on par with mine.

Episode 1:
The "calm down" leg bump killed me.

I enjoyed that as well.

Hurray for blue hair, down with red hair!

I'm a fan of blueheads and redheads and I'm enjoying Koroko and Kagami.

Yay! I'm glad someone else is joining in on this with us :)

You guys wanna hear a really petty complaint I have about this show? No? Okay well I'm going to say it. I really hate how the neck areas are shaded.

Anyways,
Episode 8:
I kind of felt like Seiho's technique was exceptionally lame compared to the trump cards of the other players they've faced so far. I know, predictably, they are going to ramp it up for the second half of this match in 9, but a team that focuses mostly on defense through principles of martial arts...I wasn't feeling it. This show definitely knows how to hype the viewer up, though. I am INVESTED.

Episode 9:
Ok. So they didn't see Kuroko tap the ball during that boomerang pass? Are you kidding me? I am worn out on this joke but I guess his lack of presence is his special talent so it has to be a staple in the writing. I can't wait to see what happens with him subbed in and his other half benched.

Ok, I'm loving this. This match has me properly invested. hopefully I can squeeze 10 in tonight before bed.
The big guy is boring and the little bald guy is well, you know. But at least something might be finally happening with our leads, they've finally hit a wall with redhead racking up the fouls, and the other members of the team get a chance to shine. I like this, and i especially like the glasses guy. He's cool :D

I like how blonde guy became a supporting spectator after that first game of the show.

I hate the bald guy. Something about those kinds of arrogant, derogatory characters always hits a nerve with me. I got actually mad listening to what he was saying to Seirin haha.

That said, blonde guy is sort of growing in favor with me. I still think he's ridiculous, but it is funny he's like a traveling fan for Seirin now. :D

Back