Little Witch Academia TV

02:

A slower paced and less action packed episode this time but still enjoyable. They're definitely taking more time with the pacing here as a full series, laying out the groundwork and characters, and I think they're doing a pretty good job with it.
I don't know if it's just me, but.....Diana actually seemed much less antagonistic to me to Akko and haughty with her introduction, than in the OVAs on first impression here and more restrained, which I definitely can appreciate. On a side note, that statue scene was a pretty bloody brilliantly animated piece this episode.

Bestest moment this episode to me though:

7Lem4vc.jpg

8PafCGW.png

Sucy just getting hiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggh as fuck. Damn, gurl, how can you be so dank?

Same here
Diana already seemed a lot less agressive, and it feels like her conversion was quite fast too

The best moment in those classes was for Diana though
Reading moonrunes with her eyes closed? Crazy af :p

But seriously, how inefficient were those runes? 5 paragraphs for 10 words?

and then there's prof Ursula
If you pay attention, she first does the juggle perfectly, sees that other teacher's surprised face, and then decides to fall down... totally not suspicious :p

I completely missed this. Only two episodes are out, I'll catch up on them soon and join this thread for Winter 2017.

Episode 2

Definitely a fan of the slightly slower pacing this ep
They can't all be a mile a minute, and I felt this was a good introduction to the school itself, as well as Diana and Ursula. I love how Akko comes crashing down to earth after realising that it's not all fireworks and big displays of power in the classes.

Diana's such a goody two shoes, correcting teachers and shit.

Ursula is fun to watch, she definitely seems clumsier and less reliable than they made her seem in the OVA, but as @thor123 said, it's probably just a cover up.

Diana is definitely way less antagonistic in this, she seemed just a bit colder at first, but she quickly softened up, I guess they'll be more like friendly rivals than enemies.

Statue animation was amazing, and poor Akko didn't even realise her hair was a plant, is she being bullied?

Episode 2:

The decision to tone down Diana is one I whole heartedly welcome. In the OVAs there's a compressed time frame so everyone's characterization has to be bigger and more broad strokes.It's not surprising the TV series can go for a more nuanced approach and this episode gets Diana's personality across quite well, without having her be borderline insufferable. Especially, when she's powerful, but still young and her haughty pride makes her prone to making mistakes.

I liked the bit with Akko's hair being turned into a plant. A lot of shows would have just had it as a gag to end the scene, but I like that Akko kept the plant until it was plucked out in that awesomely animated statue scene. The plant was used to good comedic effect without overplaying it. My favorite bit was when it started losing leaves after Akko failed at using the Shining Rod in front of Diana.

Sucy is best stoner.

Solid episode that covers a lot of ground in setting up the world and the characters. It lacks the razzle dazzle of the first episode, but it has more substance and gives more shape to the world of the series. While all the weird stuff in the first episode is good for giving the world some character, without laying down some rules, that quirky weirdness would get tiresome.

Episode 2:

The decision to tone down Diana is one I whole heartedly welcome. In the OVAs there's a compressed time frame so everyone's characterization has to be bigger and more broad strokes.It's not surprising the TV series can go for a more nuanced approach and this episode gets Diana's personality across quite well, without having her be borderline insufferable. Especially, when she's powerful, but still young and her haughty pride makes her prone to making mistakes.

I liked the bit with Akko's hair being turned into a plant. A lot of shows would have just had it as a gag to end the scene, but I like that Akko kept the plant until it was plucked out in that awesomely animated statue scene. The plant was used to good comedic effect without overplaying it. My favorite bit was when it started losing leaves after Akko failed at using the Shining Rod in front of Diana.

Sucy is best stoner.

Solid episode that covers a lot of ground in setting up the world and the characters. It lacks the razzle dazzle of the first episode, but it has more substance and gives more shape to the world of the series. While all the weird stuff in the first episode is good for giving the world some character, without laying down some rules, that quirky weirdness would get tiresome.
Vl1f6aA.jpg

Episode 2
Oh here we go, the Diana element I've been fearing.
*2 mins later*
Huh. She's not being a complete bitch now. Neat. Her sycophant followers seem to now shoulder the bitchy responsibility instead. Seems Diana is going to have some actual development, though I do expect her to remain in a somewhat antagonistic and later possibly in a rival position.'

I wonder how Ursula's role will pan out in this show.
The ED is nice. And I'm happy we got it this episode, not the previous one. I like it when the first episode of an anime ends with the OP.

Last edited:
I haven't watched the second ep yet, disgraceful I know. I'll get it watched tonight but I am seeing good things from people in here.

Well, I was not disappointed. It was nice getting a much more drawn out variant of this series. I really enjoy the art style of this series, and the animation is really quite impressive.

Not much to say, especially since I was pretty much late to this. The main thing is, I'm hoping for some more drawn out events, as the OVAs were nice and such, but I always felt like they were a bit constraint.

Now all we need is a JRPG based on this. Although, it reminds me a bit of Atelier Sophie.

Like many of the people here, I seemed to enjoy this episode more than the first. There are a couple of things I'm hoping will be explained a bit from this series. My initial question is, did they just dump Akko into the current first year cirriculum? I'm not sure how classes are setup, but they did mention it was a 3 year course. I'm guessing, if nothing else, 1st years, 2nd years, and 3rd years are separated by classes.

A lot of the students, even Akko's roommate, Lotte, were returning, meaning they had to have been there at least one other semester. I'm not entirely sure why Akko is starting in essentially the second half of the first year, and not getting to start properly from the beginning? Seems like they are setting her up for failure, especially given her stigma as a "commoner."

That being said, what the fuck are Akko's parents high on that they just let her go to this magical school? Akko is like, "Can I go to a school and learn magic?" And her parents are like, "Yeah sure, whatever."

ಠ_ಠ

I hope we get an episode seeing some interaction with her parents on that matter. If nothing else, if the series goes on long enough, maybe we'll get to see her go back during vacation and show off her skills. I'm honestly surprised that her parents are just accepting that she's really going to learn magic, or even believe in magic in the first place. Getting some more background information on if the world is open about magic and how mixed society is with non-magical and magical folks, would be super helpful.

The most important information of the day is that Akko cheats at card games, putting her on par with the King of Games. Good stuff.

03:

Man, every time I watch an episode of this, it just fills me with so much unbridled joy and glee here, that I get this shiny glint in my eyes the whole time. I love this show.

More bits of world building going on, and holy shit, was that broom race fun as all fuck for me. We get da best girl, Amanda introduced too, heeeeeellls yeaaaah. :megusta:

I think I appreciated the fact that they didn't let Akko win the race in this episode, Akko's still got ways to go, and it would've felt a little cheap to me winning the whole thing and overtaking skilled Diana, with the uber broom like that. Speaking of which, I gotta mention and reiterate, I'm really digging and enjoying more nuanced and humble Diana a lot. Aside from saving her from that huge fall, she even goes as far as to actually acknowledge how passionate Akko is. On another note, I'm also interested and looking forward to though in more info/backstory on the shiny chariot side, Ursula seemed pretty dispirited when her philosophy schtick was mentioned, which has got me pretty curious.

Funniest stuff this episode, had to be Sucy being such a fucking savage with her eyes on the prize, and the hopping Akko broom. That had me laughing and smiling a lot. The comedy in general was pretty great though, Trigger just always manages to hit the right buttons for me, humour-wise. Also, Akko continues to be such a loveable dork and so bonkers, it's so fun to watch. Seriously, shooting herself out of a canon was a bloody awesome moment. :laugh:

And for screencaps,

Mothertrucking Inferno Cop cameo, in da house:
C2zPLhGXAAA80G8.jpg

Hey look, it's that dude from Pawn Stars, Chumlee:
41vYSTs.png

chumlee-pawn-stars-340x300.jpg

Send Halp:
nsiqXRO.png

Just a great episode in my opinion and delightfully fun as shit, all around. I cannot wait for the next one.

Last edited:
Episode 3

Awesome stuff again
Poor Akko can't fly, Harry Potter she ain't, and no one will want her on their Quidditch team.

We got some world building with the magic too, but it makes me wonder how Shiny Chariot managed to do magic away from Luna Nova, or any witch for that matter. Though as Shooting Star is a source of magic itself, it's not hard to believe that there are other items like that.

Why did Shooting Star remind me of Senketsu? It doesn't speak, it didn't actually want Akko on it, and did its best to try and kill her. But there we go, guess it's just me searching.

Amanda is best girl.

The race was fun as fuck, and I agree with Gen that I'm glad Akko didn't win it this time, that would have felt cheap. I loved the part where Shooting Star broke free of it's bonds and we see it in all its glory. I love that they're giving magical items a backstory, it feels like true fantasy when they do that.

Comedy was awesome too, Akko hopping along saying "ribbit, ribbit, ribbit" was ridiculously adorable.

Week 3 of Someone Tries To Kill Akko was great. Is it next Sunday yet?

Just a thought about the episode

In a fair race (as in, no Sucy antics), it's far more likely that Amanda's team would have won the race. Even with a normal broom, Amanda was as fast as Akko, and Akko was faster than Diana until she got bucked off.

Back