Daily Manga Thoughts 2: The Return

Tomo-chan is actually deeper than I thought.

Current theory is that Misuzu is possibly in love with Tomo, and is driving Tomo toward Jun for some confusing reasons.

Firstly, by pushing them together, she actually gets to spend more time and get closer to Tomo as she helps her. Obviously this is what she wants as we saw in one of last weeks strips, even if she doesn't admit it to herself.

Secondly, she loves Tomo and wants her to be happy, so she's helping Tomo get what she wants out of love. This is where Carol comes in. Carol is way smarter and more perceptive than she seems on the surface, and she sees straight through Misuzu on pretty much everything, it's not a stretch for us to say that she can see what Misuzu's true feelings are towards Tomo, and she's basically calling her out on her bullshit; "you have to pursue her yourself, not drive her into the arms of someone else". This is why she interfered at the beach, and why she's now possibly interfering at the firework festival.

Basically, Misuzu is a pretty interesting character, because even if I'm completely wrong, her motives still aren't clear and are quite contradictory, but not as a result of bad writing, but because she's a young girl who doesn't seem to know what she wants.

Tomo-chan is actually deeper than I thought.

Current theory is that Misuzu is possibly in love with Tomo, and is driving Tomo toward Jun for some confusing reasons.

Firstly, by pushing them together, she actually gets to spend more time and get closer to Tomo as she helps her. Obviously this is what she wants as we saw in one of last weeks strips, even if she doesn't admit it to herself.

Secondly, she loves Tomo and wants her to be happy, so she's helping Tomo get what she wants out of love. This is where Carol comes in. Carol is way smarter and more perceptive than she seems on the surface, and she sees straight through Misuzu on pretty much everything, it's not a stretch for us to say that she can see what Misuzu's true feelings are towards Tomo, and she's basically calling her out on her bullshit; "you have to pursue her yourself, not drive her into the arms of someone else". This is why she interfered at the beach, and why she's now possibly interfering at the firework festival.

Basically, Misuzu is a pretty interesting character, because even if I'm completely wrong, her motives still aren't clear and are quite contradictory, but not as a result of bad writing, but because she's a young girl who doesn't seem to know what she wants.
Yep, it's pretty great character development so far. And man do I love Carol. The rarest of rare airhead character.
-------------------------------------

DMT: Well this most recent chapter of Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari just got an Empress in my D&D setting named, because she fucking deserves it! It's like all of the worst parts of this manga were created only to make her character introduction all the more awesome!
daqueen.png

yassqueen.png

M3jlp26.gif

Last edited:
But your hands are always...on hand! :baka:
Great for impromptu public displays of affection.

DMT:
In the last few days I have received Magus Bride vol. 6, Bloom Into You vol. 1, The Times of Botchan vol.1 and The Ice Wanderer (last 2 both by the now sadly deceased Jiro Taniguchi). It's going to be a good few days reading me thinks.

I wonder what you'll think of this one, unless you've read some Soseki Natsume works you don't probably get much out of it.
I haven't read any of his works in all honesty, but I'm a fan of period pieces, so I'm hoping that the setting and the autobiographical nature of the story will be interesting enough to keep me interested.

I haven't read any of his works in all honesty, but I'm a fan of period pieces, so I'm hoping that the setting and the autobiographical nature of the story will be interesting enough to keep me interested.
I've read quite a few; some were easily accessible for me like 'Botchan' (and funny), some like 'To the Spring Equinox and Beyond' I couldn't make head or tail out of.

DMT: Man, you could almost think that Killing Bites and Arachnid are by the same author or something.
WAIT, THEY ACTUALLY FUCKING ARE!? IT'S JUST A DIFFERENT ARTIST??
2L9CTb9.png

Gee, I wonder if this series will have as much rape fetishism. Maybe not, since Killing Bites appears to actually be getting an anime adaptation.

Last edited:
Gee, I wonder if this series will have as much rape fetishism. Maybe not, since Killing Bites appears to actually be getting an anime adaptation.

*Reads first few pages.

>Dudes already, trying to rape the shit out of a woman.

Ugh........this guy doesn't learn.

*Reads first few pages.

>Dudes already, trying to rape the shit out of a woman.

Ugh........this guy doesn't learn.
Eh, maybe it was meant to be something of a statement of intent. The rapists being super murdered, that is.
The author started on Killing Bites before he was even done with Arachnid.
And they are ridiculously similar:

-Animal themed powers where the new contestant brags about their animal's powers.
-MC is so stronk, and whoops people because her theme is the most awesome in the end. So she basically starts and remains at the top, even when the series tries to fool the audience into thinking she might be the underdog in a fight.
-Underground organization sponsoring/ordering fights between animal themed people, and it is all hidden from the public eye.
-Everyone sets their sights on the MC.
-Petite lesbian pervert with pigtails whom tries to have a go at the MC, but then just becomes her fangirl who tries to advise her on what she should do. Their fighting style revolves around being really fast and hard to hit. Seriously:
Not even freaking subtle.

Yet I kinda have to say I'm liking Killing Bites so far.
It's ridiculously similar, but at the same time feels like it is the more refined product, as if Arachnid was just the practice:

-Animal powers actually are explained : Genetic engineering and transformations. Boom. Done. While In Arachnid they're essentially just a bunch of fucking insect weaboos with random, unexplained bullshit powers, mechanical upgrades/weapons, and/or fighting styles.
Who the fuck operates armored plating around their heart just to stick with a theme?

-Powers are consistent: In Arachnid the MC gets to have whatever fucking Arachnid-themed power she needs for the fight, while all her opponents stick to one thing. So it's basically bullshit MC superpowers.
In Killing Bites, though? Honey badger doesn't give a shit. Aaaaand that's basically it.

-Less rape fetishism. Self-explanatory. Arachnid really went off the deep end there. Unfortunately it is still just less of it rather than none.

-Less wanton killing of named characters. Doesn't seem to burn through characters as fast, which is nice.

Like, it ain't fantastic, but it is an improvement as far as I can tell.
Still, it's not certain with this author that it won't go off the deep end eventually.

Last edited:
Went back to Tokyo Ghoul:re. And, damn it, all these videogames/books/comics/tv shows and movies are hindering my capacity of remembering characters and their names. I honestly had no recollection of most of the people who showed up on the last 11 episodes I read.

Still, the story seems to be wrapping up, I like the fact that it might end after a big operation just like the first part.

Read volume 5 of Nozaki-kun in bed the other day. I'm getting excited for volume 6, since that's gonna have material not covered by the anime. Hopefully it'll still be really good. If only Comixology and Yen Press would hurry up and make it available digitally, for I am almost completely out of shelf space these days.

Also, Nozaki-kun sure is less deserving of a sequel than Nanbaka. Yes, I injected a little DAT there. Sue me.

Read volume 5 of Nozaki-kun in bed the other day. I'm getting excited for volume 6, since that's gonna have material not covered by the anime. Hopefully it'll still be really good. If only Comixology and Yen Press would hurry up and make it available digitally, for I am almost completely out of shelf space these days.

Also, Nozaki-kun sure is less deserving of a sequel than Nanbaka. Yes, I injected a little DAT there. Sue me.
Huh, I have five volumes myself, but haven't read them yet. I suppose I should when i can start reading post-anime parts.

DMT: I figured out that I'm only gonna buy manga once a year, on black Friday.
My favorite store has free shipping when you buy wares for at least a minimum, and they basically have discounts on everything on black Friday.
So I'll just take note of stuff I want to buy, and then buy a huge hoard then. I saw Franken Fran in the online store. I'm totally drooling at the prospect.

DMT: Tokyo Ghoul:re
Kaneki becomes awesome again, I hope he doesn't go back to Lameneki after this arc is over.

Back